Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
In 1976 the Oklahoma Historical Society published Mark of Heritage. Written by Muriel Wright, George Shirk, and Kenny Franks, this publication contains information about historic sites and historical markers in Oklahoma.
Read Mark of Heritage online
Your search returned 3 results.
The town of Charleston was named for Charles Eilerts who was appointed postmaster on May 18, 1901. The town had two general stores, a drug store, a newspaper, a livery stable, and a doctor until the railroad bypassed it in 1920.
Located on US-64, eleven miles east of Buffalo
Fort Dodge-Camp Supply Trail
The 7th Cavalry first used this military trail in November of 1868, carrying 1,000 men and 400 wagons to set up Camp Supply, Indian Territory. The army later built a telegraph line along the route from Fort Dodge to Camp Supply and other forts. With the coming of the railroads, usage of the trail diminished.
Located on US-183 in Buffalo
Western Cattle Trail/Yelton Store
From 1874 to 1893, millions of cattle and horses were driven from Texas through what became western Oklahoma over the westernmost of the famous cattle trails. The trail crossed the Red River and Doan's Crossing in Jackson County and continued north to Dodge City, Kansas.
Located on county road, nine miles north and eight miles west of Buffalo
Search for Markers
Browse by County
Roger Mills County