Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
In 1976 the Oklahoma Historical Society published Mark of Heritage. Written by Muriel Wright, George Shirk, and Kenny Franks, this publication contains information about historic sites and historical markers in Oklahoma.
Read Mark of Heritage online
Your search returned 12 results.
City of Altus
In 1955, this B-47, christened City of Altus, was the first bomber to land on the runway at Altus Air Force Base.
Located at Park Lane and East Broadway in Altus
Altus Air Force Base
Features of Altus Air Force Base include a display of American aircraft stationed at the air base and a memorial to R. W. "Dick" Moore who was instrumental in re-establishing Altus Air Force Base after World War II.
Located on Altus Air Force Base
Altus Jackson County Well
This hand-dug brick-lined well was the community's only water supply from 1889 to the late 1920s. The well was paved over in 1937 but was rediscovered and restored in 1990.
Located on north side of county courthouse in Altus
The Texas Cattle Trail (Dodge City or Great Western Trail) crossed the Red River here where C. F. Doan operated a store. More than 19 million cattle crossed the river until the crossing was abandoned in 1895. See Great Western Cattle Trail.
Located on County Road East 179 southwest of Tipton
From 1937 to 1963, children from surrounding areas were educated in this country school. Initially called Clabber Flat School, the school acquired its new name because it was the home of Friendship Baptist Church. The town of Alfalfa also took the name.
Located on County Road East 159 at site of former school northeast of Altus.
Great Western Cattle Trail
From 1874 to 1893, millions of cattle and horses were driven from Texas through what became western Oklahoma over the westernmost of the famous cattle trails. The trail crossed the Red River and Doan's Crossing in Jackson County and continued north to Dodge City, Kansas. A series of markers throughout Oklahoma preserve the memory of the trail.
Located on US-62, two miles east of Altus
The Russian czar Nicholas II, ordered this steam locomotive for use in World War I. When the Russian regime was overthrown, the Frisco Railroad purchased the locomotive. It was later used in lead and zinc mines in northeast Oklahoma.
Located at 601 Katy Drive in Altus
The Martha School served the area's children beginning in 1896.
Located at 15863 South County Road 201
Museum of the Western Prairie
Illustrating the colorful past of the western portion of Oklahoma, this museum contains many interesting exhibits portraying the early homesteaders of the region.
Located at 110 North Hightower, Altus
Town of Navajoe
A mock Atlas missile was used to test this underground silo's weight-and-balance systems at nearby Altus Air Force Base in the 1960s. It was called "waterbird," because it was filled with water, rather than the liquid oxygen in the actual missiles.
Located at 601 Katy Drive in Altus
Western Cattle Trail/Friendship
The town of Friendship, once called Alfalfa, derived its name from the Friendship Baptist Church, established in 1908. Friendship once had a dozen businesses until a decline in rural population caused its demise after World War II. See Great Western Trail.
Located on County Road 210 in town of Friendship
Search for Markers
Browse by County
Roger Mills County