Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
In 1976 the Oklahoma Historical Society published Mark of Heritage. Written by Muriel Wright, George Shirk, and Kenny Franks, this publication contains information about historic sites and historical markers in Oklahoma.
Read Mark of Heritage online
Your search returned 3 results.
Oklahoma's oldest town on the Red River was a great, fortified village of the Wichita Indians. The French trading post on the north bank of the river was named for Governor Bernardo de Galvez in 1778 when Oklahoma was part of Louisiana.
Located on OK-32, one mile north of Petersburg
Southwest Bible College
A Baptist college was founded in Hastings in 1907. The school later moved to Mangum. Its library became the core for the library at Oklahoma Baptist University in Shawnee.
Located on OK-5 on east edge of Hastings (OBHC)
Waurika is the only county seat located in Oklahoma on the 98th Meridian. The post office was opened on June 28, 1902. The west side of town was the Kiowa-Comanche reservation, part of Oklahoma Territory, while land east of the line was Pickens County in the Chickasaw Nation.
Located on US-70 in Waurika
Search for Markers
Browse by County
Roger Mills County