Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
In 1976 the Oklahoma Historical Society published Mark of Heritage. Written by Muriel Wright, George Shirk, and Kenny Franks, this publication contains information about historic sites and historical markers in Oklahoma.
Read Mark of Heritage online
Your search returned 3 results.
The school was opened as a learning center for Chickasaw girls in 1859 under the supervision of the Cumberland Presbyterian Board. In 1887, the name was changed to Chickasaw Orphan Home and Manual Labor School. The first post office, called Burney Academy, opened on July 3, 1860.
Located on OK-32, 1 1/2 miles east of Lebanon
This frontier post was named for Brigadier General Henry Leavenworth, commander of the Dragoon Expedition through Oklahoma in 1834. Leavenworth died nearby after being injured in a buffalo hunt. Some historians call the 1834 expedition the greatest expeditionary force in the annals of the US Army.
Located on US-70 at west side of Kingston
Red River Bridge
The Red River bridge, constructed in 1931, was the site where Oklahoma Governor William H. "Alfalfa Bill" Murray defied a federal court injunction and stood with National Guard troops to make the toll bridge a free bridge. It became the first free bridge across the Red River. The structure was replaced with a new bridge in 1996.
Located in Colbert City Park, Colbert, Oklahoma
Search for Markers
Browse by County
Roger Mills County