Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
In 1976 the Oklahoma Historical Society published Mark of Heritage. Written by Muriel Wright, George Shirk, and Kenny Franks, this publication contains information about historic sites and historical markers in Oklahoma.
Read Mark of Heritage online
Your search returned 9 results.
Battle of Cabin Creek
The first Battle of Cabin Creek was fought July 1 and 2, 1863, where Cabin Creek crossed the old Fort Gibson Military Road. The second battle occurred September 18, 1864, when 2,000 Confederate troops under Brigadier General Stand Watie captured a 130-wagon federal supply train carrying $1.5 million in goods. This was the last major Civil War engagement in Indian Territory.
Located on US-69, one mile south of Craig-Mayes County line
Battle of Locust Grove
On July 2, 1862, federal troops under Colonel William Weer surprised a Confederate encampment here. The Southerners led by Colonel J. J. Clarkson surrendered, but heavy fighting continued throughout the day in nearby woods between Union troops and Confederate soldiers who escaped the raid.
Located on OK-33 on east side of Locust Grove in parkway at "Pipe Spring," SH 33
Cabin Creek Battlefield
Emplacements can still be seen where cannons were set to defend the crossing of Cabin Creek. There are many unmarked graves of soldiers who died when General Stand Watie's Confederate troops captured a Federal supply train on September 18, 1864. Earlier, in July 1863, the Confederates were defeated in a small skirmish here.
Located on US-69 north of Patton
Auguste Chouteau and his brother, Pierre, traded with the Arkansas band of Osage in the Three Forks area where the Arkansas, Verdigris, and Grand rivers merge. Colonel A. P. Chouteau, Pierre's son and the fourteenth man to graduate from the US Military Academy at West Point, built a trading post on the Grand River in 1817, recognized as the oldest permanent American settlement in what became Oklahoma. He built a home near the trading post on the eastern bank of the Grand River.
Located on public school grounds in Salina
Jean Pierre Chouteau Bridge
The Chouteau family had extensive holdings which included salt works and trading posts. Jean Pierre and his brother, Auguste, from a base in St. Louis, Missouri, traded with Osages in the area.
Located on US-69 at edge of Salina
Born in Virginia about 1783, Nathaniel Pryor was related to family of Jefferson Davis and a member of the Lewis and Clark Expedition of 1803. He re-entered the army in 1813 as a 1st Lieutenant and discharged as Captain in 1815. Pryor entered into Indian trade at Three Forks on the Verdigris and soon became one of the most noted figures of early Oklahoma history. He was the first to bring fine Kentucky horses to Oklahoma.
Located on US-64, four miles south of Pryor
A large monument erected in 1916 to commemorate Oklahoma's first white settlement was used as a cornerstone during construction of Salina High School.
Located at Salina High School
The mission was organized for the Osage in 1820 and the future state's first school opened for classes on September 1, 1821. On the grounds is what is believed to be the oldest marked grave in Oklahoma, that of Reverend Epaphras Chapman, a victim of typhus on June 7, 1825. The first printing press in present-day Oklahoma was located at Union Mission.
Located on US-69, two miles of Chouteau
This is the burial ground of members of missionary families who died at Union Mission from 1822 to 1825. The mission was a pioneer institution, the site of the state's first church and school.
Located inside Union Mission Cemetery south of Chouteau south of Mazie Landing Road (DAR)
Search for Markers
Browse by County
Roger Mills County