Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
In 1976 the Oklahoma Historical Society published Mark of Heritage. Written by Muriel Wright, George Shirk, and Kenny Franks, this publication contains information about historic sites and historical markers in Oklahoma.
Read Mark of Heritage online
Your search returned 5 results.
Baptists at Cowlington
A Baptist church organized in a brush arbor here in 1837. This church and seven other churches formed the Short Mountain Association in 1844, the first and oldest Anglo Baptist Association in Oklahoma.
Located on US-59 south of Sallisaw near junction with OK-9 (OBHC)
The American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions purchased and used the site as a base for missionary work. Reverend Cephas Washburn built a school for the Cherokees here in 1828, a successor to a school he founded in Arkansas. For four decades, Washburn provided educational leadership among the Cherokees.
Located on US-64 east of Vian at junction with road to Marble City
Entering Indian Territory
The first highway in Oklahoma, fifty-six miles from Fort Smith to Fort Gibson, was completed in 1827.
Located on US-64 west of Arkansas border at Moffett
Built in the 1830s, this log cabin served as home to George Guess, also known as Sequoyah, the developer of the Cherokee syllabary. Sequoyah is considered one of the great leaders in American Indian education because of the development of a written language for the Cherokees.
Located on OK-101, eleven miles northeast of Sallisaw
In 1829, the village became the western capital of the Cherokees. Sam Houston often visited the area in trade missions into Indian Territory and was given the name "The Raven" by Cherokee leaders.
Located on US-64, two miles east of Gore
Search for Markers
Browse by County
Roger Mills County