Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
In 1976 the Oklahoma Historical Society published Mark of Heritage. Written by Muriel Wright, George Shirk, and Kenny Franks, this publication contains information about historic sites and historical markers in Oklahoma.
Read Mark of Heritage online
Your search returned 4 results.
Battle of Turkey Springs
The last known encounter between Native Americans and the federal government in Oklahoma occurred in this area on September 13–14, 1878. Units of the 4th Cavalry battled with Northern Cheyennes led by Dull Knife and Little Wolf as they fled Indian Territory to return to the north. An Arapaho scout and three soldiers were killed.
Located on US-64, two miles east of Camp Houston
The 1,600 bricks list the names of past and present Woods County families and commemorates the centennial of the opening of the Cherokee Outlet in 1893.
Located at southeast corner of the county courthouse in Alva (DAR)
The first land office in the Cherokee Outlet was located here.
Located at intersection of Flynn and Post Office streets in Alva (DAR)
The son of frontiersman Daniel Boone, Nathan Boone, led an expedition to Indian Territory and through this area in 1843.
Located on US-64, one mile west of Camp Houston
Search for Markers
Browse by County
Roger Mills County