Home > about >  Press Release

05/21/15

NEWS RELEASE

Contact: Melvena Heisch
State Historic Preservation Office, Oklahoma Historical Society
Office: 405-522-4484
mheisch@okhistory.org
www.okhistory.org/shpo

Edmond Firm to Receive SHPO 2015 Citation of Merit

Oklahoma City, Okla.—The Oklahoma Historical Society, State Historic Preservation Office will present its 2015 Citations of Merit during a banquet on Thursday, June 4, in Bartlesville. The banquet is a highlight of "Tradition and Transition: Oklahoma's 27th Annual Statewide Preservation Conference," scheduled for June 3–5. Details about the conference can be found at http://www.okhistory.org/shpo/conference.htm.

Twenty-two citations will be presented for accomplishments in seven Oklahoma communities. The award recognizes positive impacts on the preservation of Oklahoma's historic properties through restoration, rehabilitation, research, planning, public programming and other activities. Small Architects of Edmond is among the award recipients.

Built in 1906, the commercial building at 108 S. Broadway in Edmond originally housed two separate businesses, a jewelry store on the first floor and a funeral parlor on the second. Through the years, the building underwent numerous renovations. Then, in 2011, Small Architects purchased the building and began the rehabilitation process. The firm now occupies both floors with a modern architectural studio and conference space. As you enter, you immediately get a sense of the building's history. Its special features include the sandstone-clad exterior walls and the interior's polished concrete floor, bead-board wainscot and tin ceiling. Small Architects has brought a part of historic downtown Edmond back to life.

For more information about the SHPO's awards programs, contact Melvena Heisch at 405-522-4484 or mheisch@okhistory.org or visit http://www.okhistory.org/shpo/shpoawards.htm.

The State Historic Preservation Office is a division of the Oklahoma Historical Society. The mission of the Oklahoma Historical Society is to collect, preserve and share the history and culture of the state of Oklahoma. Founded in 1893 by members of the Territorial Press Association, the OHS maintains 31 museums, historic sites and affiliates across the state. Through its research archives, exhibits, educational programs and publications the OHS chronicles the rich history of Oklahoma. For more information about the OHS, please visit www.okhistory.org.





Back to the OHS Press Room