About the OHS
The mission of the Oklahoma Historical Society is to collect, preserve, and share the history and culture of the state of Oklahoma and its people.
Since 1893 the Oklahoma Historical Society (OHS) has strived to protect and chronicle the history of our great state. The Oklahoma Historical Society maintains museums, research centers, historic homes, and military sites located throughout Oklahoma.
The OHS was founded on May 27, 1893, by members of the Oklahoma Territory Press Association. In 1918 the OHS was relocated to the State Capitol, and in 1930 moved to the Wiley Post building. Over the years the OHS has developed numerous collections, programs, museums, and historic homes, and military sites statewide. In 2005 came the opening of the Oklahoma History Center, with world-class museum exhibits and a state-of-the-art Research Center.
To learn more about the history of the Oklahoma Historical Society, see Battle Cry for History: The First Century of the Oklahoma Historical Society by OHS Executive Director Dr. Bob L. Blackburn.
OHS EXTRA! E-newsletter
Keep up to date with events, news, and developments at the Oklahoma Historical Society with our weekly newsletter delivered straight to your inbox.Sign Up Now