Home > about >  Press Release

09/24/15

NEWS RELEASE

Contact: Lynda Ozan
Oklahoma Historical Society
Office: 405-522-4478
Fax: 405-522-0816
lozan@okhistory.org
www.okhistory.org

New Oklahoma National Register Listings

Oklahoma City, Okla. — The Oklahoma Historical Society, State Historic Preservation Office is pleased to announce five new National Register of Historic Places listings in Oklahoma. The National Register of Historic Places is our nation’s official list of properties significant in our past.

Tulsa adds a new National Register location to their ever increasing inventory. The Sally Ann Apartments are located in the 1300 block of South Jackson Avenue and were built by O. A. Moreland. The buildings are significant in the area of community planning and development for their association with apartment construction in Tulsa in the 1940s. They also are significant for their architectural style representing the Modern Movement.

The James Martin Baggs Log Barn joins a growing list of properties identified in the statewide barn survey of Oklahoma to be listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The Baggs Barn, constructed in 1909, is significant for its architectural style. Located in a rural area of Pushmataha County, the barn is identified as an excellent example of a log Transverse Crib Barn.

The Seminole Municipal Building, constructed in 1936, was identified as an eligible property for the National Register of Historic Places by a group of students from the Institute for Quality Communities from the University of Oklahoma. The Seminole Municipal Building, located at 401 North Main Street, is significant for its association with Community Planning and Development as well as Entertainment and Recreation.

The KCS Railway Depot is located at 1 South Highway 59 in Stilwell, Adair County. The depot, constructed in 1915, is significant for its role in Transportation. The Stilwell KCS Railway Depot provided local residents and businesses with goods and services that otherwise would have been difficult or impossible to acquire and with a way to market their products.

The Fuksa Portion of the Chisholm Trail Roadbed, located in Garfield County, is a remnant of the historic north-south route between Texas and Kansas across the Indian Territory (today’s Oklahoma). It is significant because it is associated with events that have contributed to the broad patterns of our history. The Chisholm Trail corridor was heavily used in the second half of the nineteenth century by Texas ranchers to deliver their cattle to markets and new railroad shipping facilities in Kansas. Three million head of cattle driven over the Chisholm Trail between 1867 and the mid-1880s spurred the growth of the Midwestern meat-packing and shipping industries, encouraged settlement and ranching development on Great Plains grasslands, and affected the eating habits of the nation.

Listing in the National Register is an honorific designation that provides recognition, limited protection and, in some cases, financial incentives for these important properties. The SHPO identifies, evaluates and nominates properties for this special designation.

The State Historic Preservation Office is a division of the Oklahoma Historical Society. The mission of the Oklahoma Historical Society is to collect, preserve and share the history and culture of the state of Oklahoma. Founded in 1893 by members of the Territorial Press Association, the OHS maintains 31 museums, historic sites and affiliates across the state. Through its research archives, exhibits, educational programs and publications the OHS chronicles the rich history of Oklahoma. For more information about the OHS, please visit www.okhistory.org.

###

Editor’s Note: Photographs to accompany the story can be acquired by contacting the State Historic Preservation Office at 405-521-6249





Back to the OHS Press Room