March 24, 2014
New Oklahoma National Register Listings
Oklahoma City, Okla., -- The Oklahoma Historical Society, State Historic Preservation Office is pleased to announce six new National Register of Historic Places listings. The National Register of Historic Places is our nation's official list of properties significant in our past.
Beattie's Prairie, located in Delaware County (address restricted), is associated with the Cherokee Trail of Tears and its immediate aftermath. The site is linked to the arrival and resettlement of the Cherokees in today's Oklahoma at the end of their Trail of Tears. In 1839 Cherokee parties completing the Trail of Tears disbanded at this site. The site is associated with events that have made a significant contribution to the broad patterns of Oklahoma's history as it relates to ethnic heritage, specifically American Indian.
The Logan Apartments, at 720 West Boyd St., Norman, is located near the University of Oklahoma campus. The apartments are significant in the areas of community planning and development, architecture and social history. Erected in 1929 by local businessman David Logan and designed by Thomas Lester Sorey, the building represents a change in the patterns of community development and growth in the surrounding Chautauqua neighborhood as the area responded to the rapid expansion of the nearby University of Oklahoma. The apartments historically provided private housing to both students and faculty for many years, including assistance to economically disadvantaged students.
The Woodward Park and Gardens Historic District, located in Tulsa, is significant in the area of landscape architecture as an excellent example of a designed landscape in the city of Tulsa and as one of the finest public gardens established in the city during the first half of the twentieth century. It is also significant for the David R. Travis House, an Italian Renaissance-inspired villa designed by architect Noble B. Fleming and constructed in 1919. Finally, the Woodward Park and Gardens Historic District is also significant in the area of entertainment/recreation. The district includes the first municipal rose garden established in the state of Oklahoma, and the park and its gardens continue to serve as the premiere environment in the city of Tulsa for the public's enjoyment and knowledge of ornamental horticulture and trees.
The Washington County Memorial Hospital (WCMH), located in Bartlesville, is significant in the area of health and medicine. The Washington County Memorial Hospital served the county for 30 years as the county's only hospital from 1922 to 1952, providing services and medical assistance to the community and surrounding area.
The final two nominations are both located in Muskogee, Muskogee County. The first is the Masonic Temple at 121 South Sixth St. constructed in 1925. It is significant for both its social function and its Classical Revival architectural style. The second is the First Methodist Episcopal Church at 518 East Houston St. Constructed in 1911, it is significant for Classical Revival styling.
Listing in the National Register is an honorific designation that provides recognition, limited protection and, in some cases, financial incentives for these important properties. The SHPO identifies, evaluates and nominates properties for this special designation.
Editor's Note: Photographs to accompany the story can be acquired by contacting the State Historic Preservation Office at 405-521-6249