October 14, 2014
New Oklahoma National Register Listings
Oklahoma City -- The Oklahoma Historical Society, State Historic Preservation Office, is pleased to announce six new National Register of Historic Places listings. The National Register of Historic Places is our nation's official list of properties significant in our past.
The Meloy House, at 131 W. Carson Dr., is located in Mustang. It is an excellent example of a first-generation house in Canadian County, representing the earliest settlement in the area. While the original downtown area of Mustang is nonextant and many of the surrounding houses are no longer extant, the Meloy House has been saved from demolition. It was first occupied by Dr. R. C. Meloy and the minimal changes to the building reflect very few owners over time.
The Depew Route 66 segment is located west of downtown Depew in Creek County. This segment was constructed in 1925, designated as U.S. 66 in 1926 and remained so until the newly constructed, straighter alignment of U.S. 66 bypassed this curving road segment. This segment is significant as it reflects the changes in transportation technology and social trends evident in the changing traffic patterns on U.S. Highway 66. It is also significant as a good example of road construction reflecting technological advances of its time, typical of U.S. 66 in Oklahoma in the 1920s.
The Kelley Club, at 2300 N. Kelley Ave., is located in north central Oklahoma City. The building is significant for its association with Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), the group whose mission is to assist alcoholics in finding and maintaining sobriety. Through its Twelve Step program, AA has enabled, and continues to enable, Oklahomans to achieve and sustain permanent sobriety. The Kelley Club had, and still has, a significant impact on the residents of Oklahoma City as well as the treatment and understanding of alcoholism.
The Oklahoma City Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant in downtown Oklahoma City is an excellent example of a manufacturing facility designed specifically for the assembly of automobiles through a process pioneered by the Ford Motor Company. Famed industrial architect Albert Kahn designed the original building for Ford in 1915 and its expansion in 1924. The building retains character-defining features of the automobile manufacturing facility: long open floor plan, large expanses of windows for light and ventilation and Kahn's signature octagonal concrete columns with splayed capitals.
Long Branch Creek Bridge is located in northwestern Payne County in the vicinity of Stillwater. Constructed in 1910, this Pratt Half-Hip Pony Truss, in its heyday, was one of the most common bridge types used in rural America. Today it is one or two remaining Pratt Half-Hip Truss bridges in Payne County.
The Waynoka Telephone Exchange Building, located on Main Street in Waynoka, is significant in the area of Architecture as it is the only Art Deco style building in Waynoka. It is also significant for its telephone-related function in Waynoka as the only remaining example representing technological expansion and corporate consolidation in the development of telephone services for the residents of the community.
Listing in the National Register is an honorific designation that provides recognition, limited protection and, in some cases, financial incentives for these important properties. The SHPO identifies, evaluates and nominates properties for this special designation.
Editor's Note: Photographs to accompany the story can be acquired by contacting the State Historic Preservation Office at 405-521-6249