Monogrammed Brick Stories
Submitted by George and Monica Knudsen
Watonga Cheese was founded in 1941 by John A. Knudsen. For many years he sold the cheese wholesale. His son, John T. Knudsen, moved to Watonga in the late 1960s and ran the plant. He opened a small retail shop in Watonga inside the factory in the 1970s. Brother Bill Knudsen moved to Oklahoma in 1983 and opened a store in Oklahoma City. Another brother, George, moved to Oklahoma in 1987 and took over the store from Bill. George changed the name from Watonga Cheese to Oklahoma City Cheese in 2007 after the factory was destroyed in Tropical Depression Erin in 2007. The factory, by this time, with John T. retired and the factory in the hands of other owners, moved to Perryton, Texas.