Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
In 1976 the Oklahoma Historical Society published Mark of Heritage. Written by Muriel Wright, George Shirk, and Kenny Franks, this publication contains information about historic sites and historical markers in Oklahoma.
Read Mark of Heritage online
Your search returned 9 results.
Dave Blue Trading Post
Dave Blue was a trader in the 1870s who hired Cherokee and Creeks to kill wild buffalo. Blue shipped the hides to Atoka for transportation to market in the eastern United States. Blue's trading post was built along the Arbuckle Cattle Trail.
Located on OK-9 in Norman
March of the Dragoons
Captain Nathan Boone, son of pioneer legend Daniel Boone, led 100 men and officers on an expedition to gather information about the Plains Indians. The 1843 expedition camped near this site.
Located on US-77 in Noble just south of Maguire Road
This is the camp site of Abner Norman, a member of an 1873 survey party in Indian Territory. Members of his party burned "Norman's Camp" into a large elm at the site. The Norman Station was on the Santa Fe Railroad (1886–1889) and later the town of Norman took his name.
Located on US-77, 1/2 mile north of intersection with OK-9
Oklahoma's Pioneer Oil City
On July 2, 1904, the Lowery #1 came in just south of Cleveland, opening the Cleveland Sand and creating Oklahoma's first oil boom town. Here also was Jordan's Fort, built in 1886 by Colonel J. W. Jordan, Cherokee agent and deputy US marshal, to keep Boomers out of the Cherokee Outlet.
Run of '89 South Boundary
The South Canadian River was the south boundary line for the Unassigned Lands in central Oklahoma opened to settlement on April 22, 1889, in the first of five land runs in Oklahoma.
Located on US-77 at east end of South Canadian River bridge in Lexington
The City of Norman and the Cleveland County Historical Museum
Constructed in 1895, six years after the 1889 Run, this house, known as the Harry Lindsey Home, has been restored as a classic example of pre-statehood architecture.
The Jacobson House
The home of Swedish born artist Oscar B. Jacobson and Jeanne d'Ucel became a center for international celebrities, artists and writers from 1918–1966. Jacobson, director of the OU School of Art from 1915–1945, revolutionized art education in Oklahoma. He is also credited with nurturing the "renaissance" of American Indian painting on the Southern Plains in the 1920s.
Located 609 Chautauqua, Norman
University of Oklahoma
The University of Oklahoma was established by the first Territorial Legislature in 1890 and classes began in 1892. Cleveland County, Oklahoma Territory, contributed $10,000 and citizens of Norman donated forty acres for the campus. David Ross Boyd was the first president.
Located at 206 West Main in Norman
Washington Irving Campsite
Noted American author Washington Irving and his party camped near Norman on his tour of the prairies in 1832, giving the outside world its first glimpse at the land that would become Oklahoma.
Located on OK-9 in Little Axe Park ten miles east of Norman (DAR)
Search for Markers
Browse by County
Roger Mills County