Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
In 1976 the Oklahoma Historical Society published Mark of Heritage. Written by Muriel Wright, George Shirk, and Kenny Franks, this publication contains information about historic sites and historical markers in Oklahoma.
Read Mark of Heritage online
Your search returned 17 results.
Battle of Round Mountain
Between the landmark known as Round Mountain (Twin Mounds) to the south and a camp on Salt Creek two miles northwest, the first battle of the Civil War in Oklahoma was fought between a group of loyal Creeks under Opothleyahola and Confederate forces led by Colonel Douglas H. Cooper. Some scholars believe this engagement took place in Tulsa County.
Located one mile north and 1/4 mile west of intersection of OK-18 and OK-51, four miles west of Yale
Booth Number One
The federal government established this booth where thousands registered for the opening of the Cherokee Outlet on September 16, 1893.
Located just west of North Perkins Road in Stillwater
Boundary Line 1889 and 1893
From this line, tens of thousands of settlers raced to stake 160-acre homesteads in the Unassigned Lands in the land run of 1889. This was also the boundary for the opening of the Cherokee Outlet four years later in 1893.
Located at intersection of Ranch Street and Washington Avenue in Stillwater
David Payne was the father of the Oklahoma Boomer movement. After his death, he was buried in Kansas. His remains were moved to Stillwater in January 1995.
Located at grave site of David Payne in Booker Lake Park at Washington and Lakeview in Stillwater
Writer Washington Irving camped here on October 20, 1832, in his tour of the American prairie. In his description of the campground, Irving wrote, "It reminded me of the ruin of some Moorish castle, crowning a height in the midst of a lonely Spanish landscape."
Located on Mehan Road northeast of Ripley (DAR)
In 1912, Jim Thorpe won both the decathlon and pentathlon in the Olympics and was praised for his athletic prowess by the entire world. He played both professional baseball and football and is considered one of the greatest athletes of American sports history.
Located in Jim Thorpe Municipal Park in Yale
This was the home of the Thorpe family beginning in 1917.
Located at 706 East Boston in Yale
Last Boomer Town
Boomers were followers of David L. Payne, who insisted upon the opening of central Oklahoma to settlement. Near here, 300 armed Boomers made their last stand for settlement of the Oklahoma country when they surrendered to US cavalry troops. The Boomers had built log cabins and dugouts and founded the town of Stillwater on December 12, 1884.
Located on OK-40 near south edge of Stillwater
Oil in the Cushing-Drumright Area
In March 1912, Tom Slick and C. B. Shafer discovered oil nearby. The Cushing field became one of history's greatest oil finds. For eight years, it led the nation in oil production. The oil discovery turned Cushing into a boomtown. The post office of Cushing was established November 10, 1891. The town was named for Marshall Cushing, private secretary to Postmaster General John Wanamaker. In 1919, the Cushing-Drumright area accounted for 17 percent of the nation's oil production.
Located at intersection of Adams and Harrison in Cushing
Oklahoma A&M College
The college, now Oklahoma State University, was established December 25, 1890, by the Oklahoma territorial legislature. The prairie was broken for establishment of an experimental farm in 1891.
Located on South Main Street at south edge of Stillwater
Oklahoma Museum of Higher Education
The Oklahoma Museum of Higher Education is housed in Old Central, built in 1894, the first permanent building on the OSU campus. It is the nation's only museum devoted to a state's higher education history.
Located on Oklahoma State University campus in Stillwater
Three US marshals and two citizens were killed in a September 1, 1893, gunfight between lawmen and members of the Dalton-Doolin outlaw gang. It was the beginning of the end of the notorious outlaw gang.
Located at intersection of OK-51 and Bethel Road east of Stillwater
Ripley's Oak Park Cemetery
Located southeast of Ripley
Boomers, led by William C. Couch, settled nearby on Stillwater Creek in December 1884. When ordered to leave, they defied the US cavalry. In his wire for reinforcements, Lieutenant Mathias Day said, "They call this place Stillwater," the first recorded reference to a town in Oklahoma Territory. The Boomers departed, but Stillwater was settled in the first hour of the Land Run on April 22, 1889.
Located at Sixth Avenue and Perkins Road in Stillwater
Turkey Track Ranch
During the height of the Texas trail drives through Oklahoma, this ranch, owned by James Jerome and Leslie Combs, was used to fatten cattle before their final trip to markets in Kansas. Roundups were held on the present site of Cushing.
Located at junction of OK-99 and OK-33
Washington Irving camped nearby during his tour of the prairies in 1832.
Located in the Jim Thorpe Municipal Park in Yale
Wild Horse Creek-Washington Irving
Writer Washington Irving and his party camped on Wild Horse Creek during his tour of the prairies in 1832.
Located nine miles south of Stillwater, four miles west, and one mile north of OK-33
Search for Markers
Browse by County
Roger Mills County