Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
In 1976 the Oklahoma Historical Society published Mark of Heritage. Written by Muriel Wright, George Shirk, and Kenny Franks, this publication contains information about historic sites and historical markers in Oklahoma.
Read Mark of Heritage online
Your search returned 4 results.
Ada began in 1890 when William Jefferson Reed built a log store and dwelling. A post office was established on July 10, 1891, and named for Reed's oldest daughter, Ada. The city was incorporated in 1901 and became the county seat of Pontotoc County at statehood.
Located at intersection of US-177 and OK-1
This natural plateau divides the headwaters of the Muddy Boggy and Clear Boggy creeks. From the top of the divide, travelers on the old California Road had a clear view of pristine wilderness.
Located on OK-1, two miles south of Ada
A famous landmark on the California Road through Oklahoma, the high hill was shown on the map made by Captain Randolph Marcy in 1849. A major reference point on several surveys, the site became a triangulation station for the US Coast and Geodetic Survey.
Located on OK-1 northeast of Fitzhugh
This early Osage encampment contained more than 300 inhabitants. Chief Black Dog, seven feet tall and blind in one eye, was the leader of the Osage who welcomed General Henry Leavenworth and his First Dragoons on a peace expedition to the area in 1834.
Located on OK-1, 3 1/2 miles southwest of Allen
Search for Markers
Browse by County
Roger Mills County