Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
In 1976 the Oklahoma Historical Society published Mark of Heritage. Written by Muriel Wright, George Shirk, and Kenny Franks, this publication contains information about historic sites and historical markers in Oklahoma.
Read Mark of Heritage online
Your search returned 4 results.
On April 12, 1945, a tornado dipped down in Antlers, killing 86 people and leaving 1,500 homeless. The tornado continued on a deadly track to the northeast.
Located on OK-3 at railroad depot in Antlers
The first Choctaw capitol, Nanih Waiya, was completed in 1838. The first Choctaw constitution was written here in 1834. At Nanih Waiya are buried the bones of the Choctaws who died enroute to Indian Territory from their ancestral homeland in Mississippi in the 1830s.
Located on US-271, 1 1/2 miles west of Tuskahoma
Choctaw Nation Capitol Building
The last Choctaw capitol was erected here in 1884. The tribal government was housed in the building until statehood. The Choctaw Nation's headquarters are now located in Durant.
Located on OK-2, one mile north of US-271 junction
Thomas Hardy, a Choctaw Indian from Nashoba, Oklahoma, camped at this creek bank before and after he went to Clayton, Oklahoma, to buy supplies. People started identifying this creek as Hardy Creek.
Located Hwy-271, 7.6 miles south of Clayton, Oklahoma
Search for Markers
Browse by County
Roger Mills County