Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Bartlesville Petroleum Experiment Station

BARTLESVILLE PETROLEUM EXPERIMENT STATION.

In 1915 Congress authorized the U.S. Department of Interior's Bureau of Mines to establish seventeen minerals research facilities around the nation. In 1918 the bureau set up three laboratories. One at Minneapolis was directed to study iron and manganese problems for the metals industries; one at Columbus, Ohio, was directed to conduct research relating to the ceramic and clay-related industries. The third, at Bartlesville, Oklahoma, was directed to seek new, more efficient ways of petroleum production and processing. The lab's establishment came at the request of independent producers in the Mid-Continent Petroleum Region.

Bartlesville was ideally located in the midst of the very active Mid-Continent oil fields. A landowner donated five acres, and the community raised fifty thousand dollars in order to build the facility, which was officially established on March 28, 1918. Two brick buildings, begun that summer and completed in January 1919, housed the experiments. During the first year the lab's scientists, under the direction of Superintendent J. O. Lewis, studied methods to prevent water pollution of wells, absorption processes for producing natural gasoline, methods of producing carbon black, and the causes of loss of light hydrocarbons from crude oil during storage. An experimental oil refinery and other "mini" plants were built as well. The goal was to develop methods for squeezing the last ounce of marketable product out of raw petroleum in the ground and/or after extraction.

The nation's only lab for petroleum research, the facility is considered by many to have been the birthplace of petroleum technology. Oil recovery technology research has since then focused variously water, chemical, and steam flooding, gas injection, thermodynamics, and microbially enhanced recovery. In later years the labs also focused an improving performance of fuels and engine systems, including vehicle exhaust emissions testing. At one time the Environmental Protection Agency gave it the job of identifying the chemical elements and materials in "smog."

The station's mission remained the same throughout its existence, although its name changed several times: Bartlesville Petroleum Research Center (from 1959), Bartlesville Energy Research Center (from 1975), Bartlesville Energy Technology Center (from 1977), and National Institute for Petroleum and Energy Research/NIPER (from 1983, operated by a private research institute). In 1997 it became the National Petroleum Technology Office, after a new private operator moved the project office to Tulsa. The Bartlesville property was closed in 1998. Some of the buildings have since served as headquarters for the Delaware Nation of American Indians.

Dianna Everett

See also: GEORGE E. FAILING, HINDERLITER TOOL COMPANY, PETROLEUM INDUSTRY, SEISMOGRAPH, SUBMERGIBLE PUMP

Bibliography

"Bartlesville Institute Rolls with Oil's Punches," Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City), 13 April 1986.

Rodney P. Carlisle and August W. Giebelhaus, Bartlesville Energy Center: The Federal Government in Petroleum Research, 1918–1983 (Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Energy, 1985).

"National Institute for Petroleum and Energy Research (NIPER)," Proceedings of the Oklahoma Academy of Science 67 (1987).

Margaret Withers, History of Washington County and Surrounding Area, Vol. 2 (Bartlesville, Okla.: Bartlesville Historical Commission, 1968).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Dianna Everett, "Bartlesville Petroleum Experiment Station," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 24, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia