Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Byng

BYNG.

The Pontotoc County town of Byng is situated east of U.S. Highway 377/State highways 3E/199, seven miles north of Ada. Byng came into existence in 1917 when a post office and a power plant were completed and named in honor of Sir Julian Byng, a British World War I hero. Prior to that time the surrounding territory was comprised of two communities, Tyrola, located near the South Canadian River, and New Bethel, which was six miles north of Ada.

Tyrola was a thriving community in the early 1900s with a Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway depot, a two-teacher school, and a few stores. Flood waters washed away much of the town in 1914, but it kept a post office from 1896 until 1922. New Bethel had a one-room school located about one-half mile north of the present Byng school. Tyrola and New Bethel districts combined in 1925 to become New Bethel Consolidated Number 3. The name was changed to Byng in 1929. The school had 194 students and six teachers.

Byng became incorporated in 1972 and is governed by a city council and a mayor. It presently has a city hall, a bank, and a handful of businesses. The town collects about two thousand dollars per month in sales taxes from those enterprises plus about seventy-five thousand dollars annually from the sale of electricity to thirty homes in the area. Most of the income goes for upkeep of the Byng Volunteer Fire Department, which is regarded as one of Oklahoma's finest. Byng had 833 residents in 1980, 1,090 in 2000, and 1,175 in 2010.

Farming was the chief occupation in the area until World War II, but after that most people drove to Ada for employment. Some raised cattle. A great deal of petroleum industry activity took place in the late 1920s and early 1930s, and there are still many productive oil wells in the community. Byng's four active churches are the Assembly of God, Free Will Baptist, New Bethel Baptist, and Abundant Life Tabernacle.

Dorothy Milligan

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

"Byng," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

History of Pontotoc County, Oklahoma, Vol. 1 (Ada, Okla.: Pontotoc County Historical and Genealogical Society, 1976).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Dorothy Milligan, "Byng," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 22, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia