Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Carl Albert State College

CARL ALBERT STATE COLLEGE.

On September 11, 1933, thirty-six students enrolled in the first classes held at Poteau Junior College (later Carl Albert State College). The institution provided post-secondary education to students in Le Flore County and the surrounding area. In the institution's early years school bus service was provided to the college students. Six faculty members taught English, French, chemistry, mathematics, history, and home economics. Beginning in September 1934 the college offered second-year courses. Classes were held in the Poteau High School from 1933 until February 12, 1968, when a newly constructed classroom building was opened on a separate campus.

The public, two-year college closed during World War II but reopened when veterans returned and used the G.I. Bill to gain a higher education. Sixty students graduated from Poteau Junior College in May 1948. In the early 1950s Poteau Junior College was renamed Poteau Community College. In 1971 the institution became Carl Albert Junior College, named in honor of Speaker of U.S. House of Representatives Carl Albert of Oklahoma. Two years later House Bill 1049 authorized junior community colleges to become state colleges, and thus the school became Carl Albert State College (CASC). During the 1970s and 1980s the campus expanded with the addition of a fine arts complex, technical-occupational complex, fitness center, and two dormitories. In the mid-1990s a business center and a new student union were built.

At the turn of the twenty-first century Joe E. White served as president of CASC. The institution had an enrollment of approximately two thousand. In 1994 a branch facility was completed in Sallisaw (Sequoyah County). CASC worked with Northeastern State University and the University of Oklahoma to provide bachelor's degrees to local students.

Linda D. Wilson

See also: COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES–STATE, JUNIOR COLLEGE MOVEMENT, SCHOOLS–PREPARATORY

Bibliography

"Education, Higher—Oklahoma—Poteau," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Poteau (Oklahoma) News, 20 July and 14 September 1933. Poteau (Oklahoma) Valley Times, 15 February 1968.

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Linda D. Wilson, "Carl Albert State College," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 17, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia