Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Fort Coffee (fort)

FORT COFFEE.

 Fort Coffee was established in April 1834 by soldiers of the Seventh Infantry under the command of Capt. John Stuart. Located about six miles north of present Spiro in Le Flore County, Oklahoma, Fort Coffee was built on a bluff on the south bank of the Arkansas River at a place known as Swallow Rock. Its purpose was to protect the Choctaw and to stop liquor from entering Indian Territory from Arkansas. During the Texas Revolution of 1835–36, troops at Fort Coffee guarded the western boundary of Arkansas, and the fort served as an arms depot for Arkansas militia.

Named after Gen. John Coffee of Tennessee, Fort Coffee was cheaply and poorly constructed. Its log buildings enclosed three sides of a small square, with the fourth side open toward the Arkansas River. Captain Stuart and his men abandoned Fort Coffee in October 1838 and established Fort Wayne on the Illinois River. The Choctaw Nation acquired the property and buildings and allowed Methodist ministers to operate the facility as the Fort Coffee Academy for boys. The school closed during the Civil War and was occupied by Confederate Choctaw troops. The buildings were captured and burned by Union soldiers in October 1863.

Jon D. May

See also: CIVIL WAR ERA, MILITARY–NINETEENTH CENTURY, WESTWARD EXPANSION

Bibliography

Grant Foreman, Advancing the Frontier, 1830–1860 (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1933).

Robert W. Frazer, Forts of the West: Military Forts and Presidios and Posts Commonly Called Forts, West of the Mississippi River to 1898 (2d ed.; Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1972).

Daniel F. Littlefield, Jr., and Lonnie E. Underhill, "Fort Coffee and Frontier Affairs, 1834–1838," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 54 (Fall 1976).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Jon D. May, "Fort Coffee (fort)," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 19, 2017).

Links of Interest


About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia