Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Foster

FOSTER.

Located in Garvin County, six miles west of Elmore City and approximately fifteen miles west of Pauls Valley, the town of Foster developed in Section 26 of Township 2 North, Range 3 West in the early 1890s. A post office established on August 12, 1891, may have been named for Noah Foster, the first postmaster. The U.S. Census corroborates his continued presence in the area in 1900 as well as the emergence of a dispersed community with a population of approximately 50 in Section 26 of Township 2 North, Range 3 West in the Chickasaw Nation. The town of Foster was surveyed and platted in October 1902, and in 1903 the U.S. Department of the Interior approved the plat. It became a part of Garvin County at 1907 statehood. A Masonic lodge was organized circa 1902, and a public school had been established by 1907. By 1910 Foster had grown to 125 residents and supported a variety of businesses, including two general stores, a hotel, and M. G. Mullens's cotton gin. Baptist, Methodist, and Episcopal churches provided places of worship. By 1918 Foster provided many needed services for the surrounding rural population that engaged primarily in farming. The town supported a doctor and a drug store as well as four general stores. Mullens's cotton gin continued in business. The 1920 population was estimated at approximately two hundred.

As Foster did not incorporate during the twentieth century, no U.S. Census figures are available, but it is likely that after the depression of the 1930s and into the later part of the century the number of residents stabilized or declined. At its incorporation on March 14, 2002, Foster comprised an area of approximately sixteen square miles. The community has a number of residences and a DX gas and convenience store. State Highways 29A and 76 provide transportation access. The census of 2010 found 161 people living there.

Dianna Everett

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

Pauls Valley Chamber of Commerce, From Bluestem to Golden Trend: A Pictorial History of Garvin County (Fort Worth, Tex.: University Supply and Equipment Co., 1980).

Foster Town Plat Map, 1903, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

R. L. Polk & Company, Oklahoma State Gazetteer and Business Directory (Detroit, Mich.: R. L. Polk & Company, 1909–1918).

George H. Shirk, Oklahoma Place Names (2d ed.; Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1974).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Dianna Everett, "Foster," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 22, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia