Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Haworth

HAWORTH.

The area that later became Haworth was surveyed and platted as Harrington by the Choctaw Townsite Commission on the Arkansas and Choctaw Railroad (later the St. Louis and San Francisco Railway, or the Frisco), which was being constructed across future McCurtain County, then part of the sovereign Choctaw Nation. The site was about ten miles west of the Arkansas-Choctaw Nation boundary, ten miles north of the Red River, and twelve miles southeast of Purnell (later Idabel).

A trading post-village called Norwood, which existed about a mile southwest of the proposed town of Harrington, was bypassed by the railroad. A post office was established at Norwood on March 28, 1902, and served the region until November 1906 when it was closed. An new post office was opened at the Harrington site, now designated as Haworth. The new name derived from the family name of a railroad official. Neither Harrington nor Haworth was ever known as Norwood as some reports imply.

The forty-five-acre townsite was approved April 1, 1903, and many lots were immediately sold. However, development languished until Oklahoma statehood in 1907. The new town's early economic base was harvesting and processing the dense stand of virgin oak, hickory, and pine timber in the trade territory. Mills were established in the vicinity to process timber, and Haworth became known as a major hardwood market in addition to being a prolific producer of pine lumber.

Farmers occupied much of the cleared land, with cotton being the principal money crop. It was ginned at Haworth. The town became the main commercial center of the southeastern section of the county. Three additions were platted by 1920. A bank, newspaper, telephone exchange, water system, several stores, restaurants, and hotels were soon in place. Early wood-frame buildings in the business district were replaced with brick structures. A two-story, brick school building was completed in 1911 to replace a 1906 structure.

The town flourished through the 1920s but lost momentum when most of the hardwood and pine timber had been harvested. Cotton production also became unprofitable, and much of the land in the Haworth trade territory was abandoned and then confiscated by the county for unpaid taxes. With the coming of the Great Depression, in the 1930s many of the business establishments closed and some relocated to Idabel or Broken Bow. The brick store buildings, which had graced the main street, were gradually demolished. The population, once estimated to be as high as eight hundred, stood at 293 in 1990.

The federal government and private entrepreneurs recognized the potential of the land for reforestation in pine. Those entities acquired large acreages of the abandoned land and began redevelopment of the forest by nurturing natural growth and by proactive planting of pine. The Harris House, six miles south of town, is listed in the National Register of Historic Places (NR 78003082). Beginning in the late 1970s there was a resurgence of civic activity in Haworth, funded with federal and private funds. The town's infrastructure was upgraded although the population remained relatively steady at 354 in 2000 with most employed citizens filling jobs elsewhere in the region. The 2010 census counted 297 living in Haworth.

Louis Coleman

See also: FORESTRY CULTURE, FORESTRY, SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

William Arthur Carter, McCurtain County and Southeast Oklahoma (Fort Worth, Tex.: Tribune Publishing Co., 1923).

McCurtain County: A Pictorial History, Vol. 2 (N.p.: McCurtain County Historical Society, 1982).

McCurtain (Idabel, Oklahoma) Daily Gazette, 22 June 1980. McCurtain (Idabel, Oklahoma) Gazette, 2 May 1914.

George H. Shirk, Oklahoma Place Names (2d ed.; Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1974).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Louis Coleman, "Haworth," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 24, 2017).

Links of Interest


About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia