Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Kiowa (town)

KIOWA.

Kiowa is located in Pittsburg County on U.S. Highway 69 at its intersection with State Highway 63. The town was founded in 1872 when the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway, known as the "Katy," was extended southward from McAlester, Indian Territory, to Denison, Texas. The railroad workers set up camp on the present Kiowa townsite, later called the Kiowa switch. The name refers to the nearby Kiowa Hills, and honor the Kiowa Indians. The site was originally on the Texas Road that led from Texas to Missouri. Early in the town's existence, pens near the track served as a cattle-shipping point to northern cities.

Kiowa's post office was established May 6, 1881. Before statehood, the site was located in Atoka County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory. Pittsburg County was not created until after Oklahoma's statehood in 1907. Kiowa has been a large farm and ranch trading area, with ranching being prevalent at the end of the twentieth century. In 1882 the first recorded general mercantile store opened. In 1909 there were two banks, two planing mills, two cotton gins, two gristmills, and one newspaper, the Kiowa Chronicle. Two other newspaper titles existed, the Kiowa Breeze and the Kiowa Sentinel. The Chronicle ended in the 1960s. In 1920 the U.S. Census recorded Kiowa's largest population, 1,287, which dropped to 689 in 1930. In 1950 the populace registered 802 and 866 in 1980. In September 1958 the Kiowa train depot closed.

The Kiowa Schools encompass students from outlying areas. Singer and actress Reba McEntire is the school's most renowned graduate. Confederate Brig. Gen. Edward L. Thomas is buried in the Kiowa Cemetery. The area has several churches. At the beginning of the twenty-first century the community had one downtown grocery store and three quick-stop service stations on Highway 69. In 2000 the population stood at 693. In 2003 a large power plant began operation two miles south of town. The 2010 census recorded 731 living in Kiowa.

Bennie Coffey Loftin

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

Pittsburg County, Oklahoma: People and Places (McAlester, Okla.: Pittsburg County Historical and Genealogical Society, 1997).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Bennie Coffey Loftin, "Kiowa (town)," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 24, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia