Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Land-Grant Colleges

LAND-GRANT COLLEGES.

At mid-nineteenth century approximately 80 percent of the United States' workforce were farmers and artisans. Dissatisfied with the classical education offered at liberal arts colleges, educational and political reformers determined that colleges should provide practical learning for the agricultural and mechanical/industrial arts. In 1856 U.S. Rep. Justin Smith Morrill of Vermont introduced a bill that would grant federal land to each state to be sold and the proceeds used to establish a college for practical knowledge. Believing it to be unconstitutional, Pres. James Buchanan vetoed the bill in 1859. After the southern states had seceded and the Civil War had begun, Pres. Abraham Lincoln signed the Morrill Land-Grant College Act, popularly known as the Morrill Act of 1862. The legislation provided that the states would receive thirty thousand acres of federal land for each of their congressional senators and representatives. The states could sell the land and use the proceeds to establish an endowment for the construction and maintenance of land-grant colleges.

Land-grant colleges were to provide course work in agricultural practices and engineering as well as military training and liberal arts. At first most states balked at providing state funding to a federally mandated college. Few teachers were trained in the subject areas, and the schools suffered low enrollments. Land-grant college presidents George W. Atherton, Henry E. Alvord, and Henry H. Goodell lobbied aggressively for the passage of two additional federal laws that helped the struggling institutions gain better financial support and garner higher enrollments. The Hatch Act of 1887 mandated that agricultural experiment stations be established at the land-grant schools. Through the Second Morrill Act (1890) the federal government appropriated annual funding to the institutions and prompted the establishment of seventeen agricultural and mechanical colleges for African Americans in the South where segregation occurred.

Two land-grant colleges were established in Oklahoma Territory. The First Territorial Legislature established Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical College (now Oklahoma State University) at Stillwater in 1890. Seven years later the Colored Agricultural and Mechanical College (now Langston University) for African Americans was organized at Langston.

Linda D. Wilson

See also: COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES–PRIVATE, COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES–STATE, JUNIOR COLLEGE MOVEMENT

Bibliography

Zella J. Black Patterson, Langston University: A History (Norman: University of Oklahoma, 1979).

J. Lewie Sanderson, R. Dean McGlamery, and David C. Peters, A History of the Oklahoma State University Campus (Stillwater: Oklahoma State University, 1990).

Roger L. Williams, The Origins of Federal Support for Higher Education: George W. Atherton and the Land-Grant College Movement (University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press, 1991).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Linda D. Wilson, "Land-Grant Colleges," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 24, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia