Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Langley

LANGLEY.

Langley is located in Mayes County on State Highway 82 on the west end of the Pensacola Dam, which holds back the Lake O' the Cherokees, most commonly called Grand Lake. The Pensacola Dam project was started in 1935 and completed in 1941 at a cost of approximately $22 million. It is a concrete multiple-arch dam with hydro-power generation facilities. The project, owned by the state of Oklahoma and operated by the Grand River Dam Authority (GRDA), was created by the legislature in 1935. The sister town of Disney, which is located on the east side of the dam, Langley sits on a bluff approximately two hundred feet above the lake. The town had its official opening Sunday, May 15, 1938. Clifford Bogle, the original landowner of Langley, divided the land into lots and developed the townsite. He named the town in honor of J. Howard Langley, a prominent Mayes County attorney who later became the first chair of the Grand River Dam Authority and an Oklahoma Supreme Court justice.

The town remains on the original site. It instantly became a boomtown in a large opening ceremony. Free entertainment included two big bands, a stage show, horse racing, and a boxing exhibition. Schools were established, churches were organized, a power plant was built, and a water system was installed. H. L. Allen edited the Langley News, which promoted the community. There were lumberyards, hotels, barbershops, cafés, taverns, and grocery and drug stores. Langley incorporated on November 20, 1939, and a post office was established on January 20, 1939.

In 1941, after completion of the dam, many construction workers moved, and the town began to promote its recreation industry. The original town had a population of around three hundred people, but over the years that figure rose and fell. From 838 in 1940 it declined to 205 in 1950–60 but climbed to 582 by 1980. There was a population of 669 at the end of the twentieth century. The 2010 census counted 819. A Bank of the Lakes branch is located in Langley, as it was in the town's beginning, and three of the original churches remain: the First Baptist Church, the First Christian Church, and the St. Francis of Assisi Roman Catholic Church.

Langley lost its school system in the 1950s. However, in 2000 it had a library, a growing number of food establishments, and three convenience stores. Langley is also the home of South Grand Lake Area Chamber of Commerce building complex. The chamber is composed of eleven towns located in three counties with a membership of 550. The complex, known as "the million-dollar view," overlooking Pensacola Dam, was designed to house a Visitor Center, GRDA Tours, a community building, a South Grand Lake Chamber of Commerce office, an Oklahoma Parks Department office, Grand Lake Association offices, the Grand Lake Monitor Program, the Naturalist Group, and a museum of history of the Pensacola Dam, Grand Lake, and Lake Hudson.

Dorothy Dell Welsh

See also: GRAND RIVER DAM AUTHORITY, SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

Historical Highlights of Mayes County (Pryor, Okla.: Mayes County Historical Society, 1977).

W. R. Holway, A History of the Grand River Dam Authority, State of Oklahoma, 1935–1968, 2 vols. (Tulsa, Okla.: N.p., 1968–69).

Mayes County (Oklahoma) Democrat, 12 May 1938.

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Dorothy Dell Welsh, "Langley," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 17, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia