Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Leedey

LEEDEY.

The incorporated town of Leedey is located two miles north of the junction of State Highways 34 and 47. Named for early settler Amos Leedey, the town is situated in the southwestern corner of Dewey County. Originally known as D County, Dewey County was created after the Cheyenne-Arapaho Reservation was opened for non-Indian settlement on April 19, 1892. The post office was established on January 6, 1900, with Leedey as the first postmaster. The community grew after the Wichita Falls and Northwestern Railway (later part of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad, or Katy) completed a line between Elk City and Leedey in 1911. On October 11 that year Leedey incorporated. In 1916 two early newspapers, the Leedey Times and the Leedey Herald, merged to become the Leedey Times and Herald.

Agriculture and the oil and gas industries have contributed to the town's economy. In 1912 Leedey farmers shipped 485 railroad cars loaded with broomcorn. In 1923 Leedey was touted as the latest oil-boom town due to drilling in the area. In the 1930s two broomcorn warehouses and a grain elevator operated. The first federal census reported for Leedey indicated 468 inhabitants in 1920. Population increased and peaked at 646 in 1930, possibly due to oil well drilling during the 1920s. Numbers have decreased from 574 in 1940 to 499 in 1980 to 468 in 1990.

On May 31, 1947, a tornado hit Leedey, killing six and injuring fifteen individuals. Approximately 20 businesses and 147 homes were destroyed. The War Assets Administration (WAA) offered surplus barracks from Fort Sill to house Leedey's homeless residents. The WAA sold, at a reduced price, the telephone equipment from the Oklahoma Ordnance Works. Fifty years later, in May 1997, townspeople remembered the disaster with a week-long commemoration called "Roll of Thunder." In November 2001 another disaster hit the small town when a fire destroyed three businesses.

In September 1962 townspeople buried a time capsule containing historical information about the town and Dewey County. The capsule will be opened on October 11, 2011, during the town's centennial. The town's only restaurant is a post–World War II diner (a prefabricated eatery produced by the Valentine Manufacturing Company of Wichita, Kansas), which was moved from Sayre to Leedey in 1993. At the turn of the twenty-first century Leedey had 345 residents, of whom 95.6 percent of those employed commuted to work. The school district had an enrollment of 188 in grades prekindergarten through twelve. The 2010 census recorded an increase to 435 inhabitants. Film star Darla Hood hailed from Leedey. Some of her personal items and other local artifacts are housed there in the Boswell Museum.

Linda D. Wilson

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

"Leedey," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Profiles of America, Vol. 2 (2d ed.; Millerton, N.Y.: Grey House Publishing, 2003).

Spanning the River: Dewey County Family History (N.p.: Dewey County Historical Society, 1976).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Linda D. Wilson, "Leedey," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 23, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia