Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Left Hand

LEFT HAND (ca. 1840–1911).

Left Hand (Nawat or Niwot) succeeded Little Raven as principal chief of the Southern Arapaho in 1889. According to Left Hand, he was born "in 'No Man's Land' [the present Oklahoma Panhandle] west of Fort Supply." He should not be confused with Left Hand the elder, the English-speaking Arapaho chief who was fatally wounded at Sand Creek, Colorado, in 1864. The two were not related. An orphan raised by his grandparents, Left Hand excelled at warfare and hunting. His name first appeared in tribal records around 1867. He reportedly led the attack (others credited the Arapaho chief Big Mouth) in which Maj. Joel Elliott and nineteen men of the U.S. Seventh Cavalry were killed during the Battle of the Washita in 1868.

Although he spoke no English, Left Hand occasionally represented his tribe in Washington, D.C. He became the Southern Arapahos' head chief following Little Raven's death in 1889. Soon thereafter, Left Hand became interested in the ghost dance and fell under the influence of Sitting Bull, a Southern Arapaho religious leader. Swayed by Sitting Bull, Left Hand agreed to allot the Cheyenne-Arapaho Reservation in 1890. Left Hand's ghost dance participation was brief. He subsequently converted to Christianity and became a Baptist. Blind in his old age, he resigned his authority to Bird Chief in 1908. Left Hand died at Darlington, Oklahoma, on June 28, 1911, and was buried on his allotment northeast of Geary in Blaine County. He is interred near the grave of his friend Jesse Chisholm.

Jon D. May

See also: AMERICAN INDIANS, ARAPAHO–SOUTHERN

Bibliography

Frederick W. Hodge, ed., Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico, Vol. 2 (1907; reprint, New York: Pageant Books, 1960).

"Left Hand," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Dan L. Thrapp, Encyclopedia of Frontier Biography, Vol. 2 (Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1988).

Virginia Cole Trenholm, The Arapahoes, Our People (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1970).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photo Archives.


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Jon D. May, "Left Hand," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed October 19, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia