Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Little Flower Catholic Church

LITTLE FLOWER CATHOLIC CHURCH.

Three priests of the Order of Discalced Carmelites, expelled from Mexico during the Carranza persecutions, came to the Catholic Diocese of Oklahoma in 1914 and were given charge of parishes in the vicinity of Hartshorne. To extend their activities among the Mexicans residing in different parts of the state they were authorized by Bishop Theophile Meerschaert in 1921 to establish a church and a residence in the section of Oklahoma City south of the North Canadian River, where Mexicans were living in large numbers. The Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel and St. Thérèse was built in the 1100 block of South Walker Avenue in 1926. It was the seventh Catholic parish in Oklahoma City.

St. Thérèse of Lisieux, a Carmelite nun who died in 1897, was canonized in 1925; she was popularly known as the Little Flower of Jesus. As one of the altars in the Oklahoma City church had been dedicated in her honor, in 1932 the church was designated the Shrine of the Little Flower. From 1936 to 1984 the monastery attached to Our Lady of Mount Carmel was the headquarters of the Discalced Carmelite Province of St. Thérèse.

James D. White

See also: HISPANICS, IMMIGRATION, MEXICANS, ORDER OF DISCALCED CARMELITES

Bibliography

Archives of the Carmelite Province of St. Thérèse, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Urban De Hasque, Catholic Churches That Were (Perry, Okla.: St. Rose of Lima Parish, Vol. 6, No. 11, February 1938).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
James D. White, "Little Flower Catholic Church," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 24, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia