Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Manhattan Construction Company

MANHATTAN CONSTRUCTION COMPANY.

In 1896 Laurence H. Rooney of Muskogee, Oklahoma, established a construction company that holds the distinction of being the first corporation registered in Oklahoma. Because Oklahoma was a territory at the time, Rooney traveled to New York City to get his corporate charter. When the clerk began to fill out the charter form, he asked for the company name. Rooney, who had not decided on a name, told him to call it Manhattan, because they were in that part of the city when the document was signed. Rooney's firm built Oklahoma's original capitol building at Guthrie in 1907, constructed the new Capitol building when the state capital relocated to Oklahoma City in 1919, and headed the team that added the Capitol's dome in 2002. Manhattan continued its growth and in 1942 opened a branch office in Houston, Texas, to supervise part of more than $1 billion in military construction contracts that the company secured during World War II. In Oklahoma the company constructed Camp Gruber and the Tulsa Bomber Plant in the early 1940s. Since then, the Muskogee firm has opened branch offices in Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Texas, Washington, D.C., Tampa, Florida, Richmond, Virginia, and Mexico City, Mexico. Through the years the enterprise has built many Oklahoma courthouses, banks, hospitals, churches, college campus buildings, and various business facilities. At the turn of the twenty-first century Manhattan was the largest construction company in Oklahoma and continued to be owned by the Rooney family.

Bobby D. Weaver

See also: HENRY BENJAMIN BASS, OKLAHOMA ECONOMY, PETROLEUM INDUSTRY, TULSA RIG AND REEL MANUFACTURING COMPANY

Bibliography

Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City), 20 March 1960.

Odie B. Faulk, C. W. West, and Juanita Freeman, Muskogee City and County (Muskogee, Okla.: The Five Civilized Tribes Museum, 1982).

C. W. West, Muskogee: From Statehood to Pearl Harbor (Muskogee, Okla.: Muscogee Publishing Co., 1976).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Bobby D. Weaver, "Manhattan Construction Company," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 19, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia