Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Muskogee Junior College

MUSKOGEE JUNIOR COLLEGE.

Created by Muskogee's Board of Education and supported by progressive-minded citizens, Muskogee Junior College (MJC) opened in 1920 as the first municipal junior college in Oklahoma. MJC remained a one-year school until it was accredited as a two-year institution in 1928 by the State Board of Education. Bessie Marie Huff, a Muskogee Central High School teacher, joined the MJC staff in 1923 and served as the dean from 1928 until 1962.

As one of thirty-five municipal junior colleges opened in Oklahoma between 1920 and 1939, MJC provided postsecondary education to local students, who saved money by living at home while completing two years of course work. The facility opened in Central High School and later moved into two old houses. When those houses were condemned, the college moved to vacated hospital facilities in 1961. From nine students in 1920 enrollment rose to 292 in 1953. Until 1940 MJC offered only liberal arts and science courses. However, following a national trend among junior colleges at that time, MJC added commercial and industrial courses, and in 1952 it provided manual training such as carpentry, machine shop, and pattern making. When MJC closed in October 1962 due to financial problems, the already-established Bacone College met the community's needs. Prominent MJC alumni include U.S. Rep. Edmond Edmondson and Oklahoma district judge Andrew Wilcoxen.

Linda D. Wilson

See also: COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES–STATE, JUNIOR COLLEGE MOVEMENT

Bibliography

Frank A. Balyeat, "Junior Colleges in Oklahoma," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 26 (Spring 1948).

Maurice LaFayette Cotton, "The Local Public Junior Colleges in Oklahoma" (M.A. thesis, University of Oklahoma, 1929).

"Education, Higher—Muskogee Junior College," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Dana Eversole, "'She Has Surely Done Her Share:' Miss Bessie Huff and the Muskogee Junior College," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 79 (Winter 2001–02).

Larry W. Nutter, "A History of Junior Colleges in Oklahoma" (Ph.D. diss., University of Oklahoma, 1974).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Linda D. Wilson, "Muskogee Junior College," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 17, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia