Home > PublicationsEncyclopediaOil and Gas Journal

OIL AND GAS JOURNAL.

The Oil and Gas Journal began its existence at Beaumont, Texas, on May 24, 1902, under the title of the Oil Investors Journal. Its publisher, Holland S. Reavis of St. Louis, Missouri, founded the publication to report on petroleum activity in the Texas Gulf Coast region, but he soon expanded the geographical coverage as oil discoveries proliferated across the Southwest. In 1910 Reavis sold the journal to the Petroleum Publishing Company, owned by Patrick C. Boyle of Pennsylvania, who was a noted publisher of oil-related news in that region. Boyle immediately changed the name to Oil and Gas Journal, increased the publication frequency from bimonthly to weekly, and moved the operation to Tulsa, Oklahoma. The Oil and Gas Journal has remained in Tulsa since that time, and it has become one of the most respected sources of reliable news related to the petroleum industry. Originally the publication focused on field reports, economic analysis, and statistics on the various aspects of the industry, but over time it devoted more and more space to technological and scientific advances in all aspects of the industry from exploration through refining. It also expanded its geographical coverage to the international level to keep pace with the growing and changing aspects of the industry. After Boyle's death in 1920, three generations of the Lauinger family presided over the publication. At the turn of the twenty-first century Joseph A. Wolking served as president.

Bobby D. Weaver

See also: PETROLEUM INDUSTRY, PRINTING AND PUBLISHING INDUSTRY

Bibliography

Kenny A. Franks, The Oklahoma Petroleum Industry (Norman: University of Oklahoma, 1980).

Gene T. Kinney, "The Journal's First 75 Years," Petroleum 2000: 75th Anniversary Edition, Oil and Gas Journal 75 (August 1977).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Bobby D. Weaver, "Oil and Gas Journal," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 19, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia