Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Phillips

PHILLIPS.

The town of Phillips is located in Coal County on U.S. Highway 75, three miles south of Coalgate, the county seat. Phillips began as a mining camp, situated between Coalgate and Lehigh on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway (MK&T). The town was named for Henry L. Phillips, who owned a store and operated a coal mine. When the post office was authorized on April 2, 1892, he became the first postmaster.

In 1908, one year after Oklahoma statehood, the Phillips school opened with John H. Andrews, Lillian Strauss, and Jewel Stephenson as the first teachers. The town supported the MK&T station, several caf├ęs, and an ice plant. By 1918 Phillips had electricity provided by the Public Service Company of Oklahoma, and a Methodist church had been organized. At that time the town had an estimated population of 650.

Like other mining towns, Phillips suffered economic decline when the deep coal mines closed in 1921. Consequently, the population fell from 972 in 1920 to 176 in 1930. The post office closed on April 2, 1927, and the school was annexed to Coalgate in 1956. At the turn of the twenty-first century, Phillips had 150 residents, and in 2010, 135.

Lorene Caruthers

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

Oklahoma State Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1918 (Detroit, Mich.: R. L. Polk and Co., 1918).

Betty Poe, comp. and ed., History of Coal County, Oklahoma (Dallas, Tex.: Curtis Media, 1986).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Lorene Caruthers, "Phillips," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 20, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia