Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Slick

SLICK.

The incorporated town of Slick had its beginning as an oil-boom town in March 1920 after oil tycoon Thomas B. Slick drilled a discovery well in the area. Located in eastern Creek County, it is situated ten miles southeast of Bristow on State Highway 16. Named for Slick, a post office was established on April 28, 1920, with Carroll W. Holmes serving as the first postmaster. The Oklahoma-Southwestern Railway built a line from Bristow to Slick in 1920 and extended its line south to Nuyaka in 1921. In October 1920 the Slick Townsite Company, with Thomas B. Slick as president and R. E. Brooke as general manager, announced that arrangements had been made to furnish gas to businesses and residences. The company also planned to build bungalow-style houses to meet the housing need due to the influx of oil-field workers. With the arrival of the railroad Slick became a distribution and shipping point for the surrounding oil field. It also served as a supply and market center for the local farmers, who were served by a gristmill and a cotton gin. By 1923 the African American population had a separate school, a Baptist church, and a hotel.

In early years the town and surrounding area had an estimated population of five thousand. However, by 1930 (the first federal census for Slick) the number had dwindled to 422, and the railroad was abandoned. The census reported 300 and 151 in 1940 and 1950, respectively. The population remained steady at 151 in 1960 and climbed slightly to 171 in 1970 and 187 in 1980. In the 1970s the town had one store, one gas station, and the former railroad depot served as a Baptist church. At the turn of the twenty-first century, Slick had 148 citizens. All of its employed residents commuted to work in larger communities such as Bristow, Sapulpa, and Tulsa. The 2010 census counted 131 living in Slick.

Linda D. Wilson

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

John W. Morris, Ghost Towns of Oklahoma (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1977).

Profiles of America, Vol. 2 (2d ed.; Millerton, N.Y.: Grey House Publishing, 2003).

"Slick," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Linda D. Wilson, "Slick," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 19, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia