Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Smithville

SMITHVILLE.

Located in northeastern McCurtain County, Smithville is situated sixteen miles northeast of Bethel and sixty-five miles north of Idabel (the county seat). The location is within the Kiamichi Mountains area and is two miles north of the Mountain Fork of Little River. In the early to mid-nineteenth century the Fort Smith–Fort Towson military road passed nearby; in the twentieth century and after, U.S. Highway 259 and State Highway 4 have provided access.

Originally, the community was a Choctaw dispersed settlement called Hatobi, which had a post office from September 1886. That having closed, another post office was established at the site on May 1, 1890, and was named Smithville. By 1909–10 Smithville was credited with a population of 270. Three churches, a public school, and a Choctaw Nation school served the residents. Five general stores, four lawyers, three livestock dealers, a sawmill, a gristmill, and a timber dealer operated. Smithville is known to have had a hotel and a newspaper, the McCurtain County American, published in 1907. A local resident platted the town, population approximately 400, in 1912, and it continued to prosper. In 1918 the population was approximately 500. Many residents were involved in the lumber industry, and livestock raising was important.

Over the next century Smithville declined in population, even as tourism became important. The town incorporated in the 1980s. In 1990 its first U.S. Census reported 111 residents. The number grew slightly to 123 by the year 2000. In that year Smithville's population was almost 20 percent American Indian. In the surrounding area, river and wilderness tourism remain significant economic activities. Beavers Bend State Park lies to the south approximately five miles. Most employed Smithville residents work out of town, with 30 percent traveling at least an hour to their jobs. By 2010 Smithville had declined to 113 inhabitants.

Dianna Everett

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

McCurtain County: A Pictorial History (N.p. McCurtain County Historical Society, 1982).

Profiles of America, Vol. 2 (2d ed.; Millerton, N.Y.: Grey House Publishing, 2003).

R. L. Polk & Company, Oklahoma State Gazetteer and Business Directory (Detroit, Mich.: R. L. Polk & Company, 1909–18).

George Shirk, "Early Post Offices of Oklahoma," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 6 (March 1928).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Dianna Everett, "Smithville ," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 17, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia