Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  St. George Greek Orthodox Church

ST. GEORGE GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH.

In the late nineteenth century a  wave of immigration brought newcomers from Eastern Europe, the Mediterranean, and Middle Eastern or Arabic countries to the United States. Some of the immigrants adhered to Eastern Orthodox Christianity, that is, to the Christian tradition established much earlier in the Byzantine or Eastern Roman Empire. Orthodox parishes and congregations greatly helped immigrants to adapt to life in America. The newcomers found their way to Indian Territory and Oklahoma Territory between 1890 and 1910. Over the twentieth century several branches of the Eastern Orthodox Communion came to be represented in Oklahoma by congregations of immigrants and their descendants. By the beginning of the twenty‑first century the Orthodox churches of Oklahoma had extended their ministries to serve people of varied ethnicities and walks of life.

Oklahoma City's Greek residents, most of whom were Greek Orthodox Christians, established a congregation on September 25, 1914, as the Greek Society of St. George of Oklahoma City. The group purchased land and completed St. George Greek Orthodox Church in 1922. The present church, at 2101 Northwest 145th Street, was completed in May 1984. The architecture of the building is notable for its traditional orthodox styling, with the footprint in the shape of a cross.  Each October the parish holds an annual festival to celebrate Greek traditions in America, an event attended by more than ten thousand. St. George is affiliated with the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America.

Dianna Everett

See also: IMMIGRATION, RELIGION

Bibliography

"St. George Greek Orthodox Church," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Dianna Everett, "St. George Greek Orthodox Church," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 24, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia