Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Wichita Village, Battle of the

WICHITA VILLAGE, BATTLE OF THE.

The battle of the Wichita Village occurred on October 1, 1858, six miles southeast of present Rush Springs in Grady County, Oklahoma. In 1858 Brig. Gen. David S. Twiggs gave Bvt. Maj. Earl Van Dorn command of the Second Cavalry at Fort Belknap, Texas, with orders to restrain belligerent Comanche north of the Red River. Operating from Camp Radziminski in Indian Territory, Van Dorn advanced on the Comanche camped on Rush Creek near a Wichita village. He did not know that the Comanche were convening a peace conference with the friendly Wichita.

In the early daylight hours of October 1 the sleeping Comanche awoke to Van Dorn's attack. The surprise assault, combined with gun smoke, morning fog, and the muddled presence of frightened Indians, young and old, was a recipe for tragedy. After the haze of battle cleared, it was revealed that the army had four men dead, and one man was missing and presumed killed. Van Dorn was seriously wounded, but despite expectations, he survived. About seventy Comanche warriors and women lay dead. Their food crop destroyed, the helpless Wichita retreated to Fort Arbuckle for assistance.

Adriana G. Schroeder

See also: MILITARY–NINETEENTH CENTURY, WESTWARD EXPANSION

Bibliography

William Y. Chalfant, Without Quarter: The Wichita Expedition and the Fight on Crooked Creek (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1991).

Wilbur S. Nye, Carbine and Lance: The Story of Old Fort Sill (3d ed., rev.; Norman, Okla.: University of Oklahoma Press, 1969).

Hobert D. Ragland, The History of Rush Springs (Rush Springs, Okla.: Gazette Publishing Co., 1952).

David C. Roberts, Jr., "Rush Springs Once Bloody Battle Ground," Harlow's Weekly, 23 July 1927.

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Adriana G. Schroeder, "Wichita Village, Battle of the ," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 23, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia