OK Women 100: A Century of Women's Suffrage

Join the Oklahoma Historical Society in celebrating the 100th anniversary of women’s suffrage!

Enjoy exhibits, programs, and events; visit historic sites across the state; and explore our online resources.



Exhibits and Events

The Yellow Brick Road to Women’s Suffrage

Now on Exhibit | Oklahoma Territorial Museum, Guthrie
Now on exhibit at Oklahoma Territorial Museum and historic Carnegie Library in Guthrie is The Yellow Brick Road to Women’s Suffrage. This exhibit celebrates the centennial anniversary of the Nineteenth Amendment to the US Constitution, which secured women the right to vote. For more information please call 405-282-1889.

Votes for Women

Now on Exhibit | Oklahoma History Center, Oklahoma City
The Oklahoma History Center’s exhibit celebrates the 100th anniversary of women gaining the right to vote in Oklahoma. Votes for Women features twenty-eight black-and-white photographs from the Oklahoma Historical Society’s archives and the Library of Congress highlighting some of the key moments and events, and the people who fearlessly led the way. Three reproduction postcard illustrations are also on exhibit.

“Women Who Built History”
The Oklahoma History and Preservation Conference

April 24–26, 2019 | University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma, Chickasha

Traveling Exhibits and Trunks from the Oklahoma History Center

Commemorate the 100th anniversary of women’s suffrage and bring a traveling exhibit to your school, church, or community center. Traveling trunks provide hands-on learning opportunity for the classroom.
Votes for Women: 100 Years of Women’s Suffrage traveling exhibit
Women of Oklahoma traveling exhibit
Women of Oklahoma traveling trunk (PDF)




Online Resources

The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture

Explore The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture online to learn more about the history of women’s suffrage in Oklahoma.

Organizations and Topics

Manuscript Guides

Use our manuscript guides to discover the collections and materials in the Oklahoma Historical Society’s Manuscript Archives.
Women's Suffrage (PDF)
Equal Rights Amendment (PDF)

Women in Oklahoma: A Century of Change edited by Melvena Thurman

Read online | Download epub




Explore Women’s History in Oklahoma

The National Register of Historic Places

The National Register is a catalog of the buildings, sites, structures, districts, and objects significant in our past. Listing in the National Register provides recognition, limited protection and, in some cases, financial incentives for these important properties. The Oklahoma State Historic Preservation Office identifies, evaluates, and nominates properties for this special designation. Use the links below to view more about these properties.

Historical Markers

  • Alice Robertson, Muskogee County
    Alice Robertson, a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, was Oklahoma's first female member of Congress, elected in 1920 from the Second Congressional District for one term. (Located in Greenhill Cemetery in Muskogee (DAR))
  • Black Iron Fountain, Kay County
    The first watering fountain in Ponca City once stood near the Marland Estate stables. Louise Fluke, the designer of the Oklahoma state flag, repainted the reliefs on the fountain. (Located at the intersection of Fourth Street and Grand Avenue in Ponca City (DAR))
  • Bloomfield Academy, Bryan County
    Bloomfield Academy, a seminary for Chickasaw girls, was established in 1853 by authority of the Methodist Missionary Board. (Located on OK-299, one and a half miles south of Achille)
  • Carry A. Nation, Dewey County
    Carry Nation and her husband David lived in a log cabin on this site after the opening of the Cheyenne-Arapaho lands in 1892. After moving to Medicine Lodge, Kansas, in 1899, Nation began her famous crusade against liquor, including using a hatchet to smash saloons. (Located on US-183 south of the intersection with US-60)
  • Drummond Home, Osage County
    Frederick Drummond immigrated to the United States from Scotland in the 1880s. After moving to the Osage Reservation, he established the Hominy Trading Company in 1904 and expanded his operations into the cattle business and buying and leasing American Indian lands, eventually building one of the state's largest ranches. Drummond and his wife, Addie, constructed this substantial Victorian home in 1905. Most of the original fine furnishings, as well as family records, photographs, and other personal items are still in the house. (Located at 305 North Price in Hominy)
  • Emahaka Mission, Seminole County
    A school for Seminole girls was established in 1894. Alice Brown Davis, who later became first female chief of the Seminole, was the superintendent in 1908. The school was abandoned in 1914. (Located five miles south of Wewoka at the intersection of US-270 and State-56)
  • Emet, Johnston County
    One of the first towns established in Johnston County, Emet originated when the Chickasaw Council House was moved from Boggy Depot to this area, two miles east of the Pleasant Grove Mission in the early 1850s. The Pleasant Grove Mission School was established by the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1844 to serve the children of the Chickasaws. (Located Chickasaw White House)
  • Fairfield Mission, Adair County
    The mission building was completed in 1829 by Dr. Marcus Palmer, a missionary to the Cherokees. The mission stood in a grove of large trees a few hundred feet east of the cemetery now known as McLemore Cemetery. Noted missionaries and teachers at the mission included Elizur Butler, Charles C. Torrey, Clarissa Palmer, Lucy Butler, and Esther Smith. A circulation library, possibly the state's first, was established at the mission in 1832. (Located at the junction of OK-100 and US-59 on the south edge of Stilwell)
  • Garland Cemetery, McCurtain County
    This cemetery was the family burying ground for prominent Choctaws. Chief Samuel Garland established a plantation here after his arrival on the Trail of Tears in the 1830s. Buried here are Chief Garland and his mother-in-law, Sophia Pitchlynn, who was the mother of Choctaw Chief Peter Pitchlynn. (Located on OK-3, three miles west of the Oklahoma–Arkansas border)
  • Kunc Family Homestead/Bradbury Corner Historical Marker, Oklahoma County
    James and Katherine Kunc and son William made the run and homesteaded a quarter section on the southwest corner of Second and Sooner on April 22, 1889. In 1923 Everett Bradbury purchased one acre of land on the northeast corner of the homestead and established a campground and filling station. This intersection was the junction of US Highway 66 and US Highway 77 and became known as Bradbury Corner. (Located on Second Street at the entrance to Holiday Inn Express)
  • Louise Fluke Memorial, Pottawatomie County
    Louise Funk Fluke (1900–1986), designer of the state flag of Oklahoma, was born in Arkansas and raised in Shawnee. She entered the winning flag design in a statewide contest in 1925 through the Wunagisa Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution. (Located at 614 East Main, Shawnee)
  • Millie Durgan, Kiowa County
    Millie Durgan was 18 months old when she was captured by Kiowa Indians in the Elm Creek Raid in north Texas in 1864. She was adopted by the Kiowa tribe and later married a Kiowa man. (Located at the intersection of OK-9 and OK-115, one mile east of Mountain View)
  • Nuyaka Mission, Okmulgee County
    Through the efforts of educator Alice Robertson, who also served as Oklahoma’s first female member of Congress, the mission was established by the Presbyterian Board and the Creek Nation in 1882. Robertson also founded Henry Kendall College, which became the University of Tulsa. (Located on OK-56, nine miles west of Okmulgee)
  • Oklahoma City DAR Chapter, Oklahoma County
    The Oklahoma City Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution was organized in 1904 in the home of Mrs. Robert Carpenter. (Located at 212 Northwest 15th Street in Oklahoma City (DAR))
  • Pine Ridge Mission, Choctaw County
    Presbyterian minister Reverend Cyrus Kingsbury established the Pine Ridge Mission in 1836. The Choctaw Council established a school for girls, Chuahla Female Seminary, at the mission in 1842, which Kingsbury supervised. The school was closed during the Civil War. (Located on east side of Red Road 1/2 mile north of Doaksville/Fort Towson Cemetery)
  • Post Office at Loretta, Texas County
    Texhoma was originally called Loretta after Loretta Cain, the first postmaster. The town’s name was changed in 1902. (Located on US-54 on the east side of Texhoma)
  • Red Wheat Allotment, Custer County
    Prior to the Cheyenne and Arapaho Reservation land run of April 19, 1892, this quarter-section of land was allotted to a Cheyenne woman named Red Wheat. Mennonite emigrants from Russia introduced ‘Turkey red’ winter wheat to northwest Oklahoma. (Located on OK-66 at the east edge of Clinton)
  • Sophia Folsom Pitchlynn, McCurtain County
    In this cemetery is the grave of Sophia Folsom Pitchlynn, wife of Major John Pitchlynn, who served under General George Washington in the Revolutionary War. (Located in Garland Cemetery near the town of Tom (DAR))
  • St. Louis School, Osage County
    This Osage girls school was founded in 1887 by Mother Mary Katharine Drexel, a Philadelphia heiress who entered a convent as a young woman and used her fortune to support educational institutions across the southern US and the Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions. The school’s original frame building burned in 1889 and was replaced by a four-story stone building. In 2000 Mother Katharine was named a saint by Pope John Paul II. (Located just off US-60 south and west of Clear Creek Bridge in Pawhuska)
  • Stella Friends Academy, Alfalfa County
    A group of Quakers settled this part of the Cherokee Outlet in 1893. A primary school opened in a sod house and was named for the first teacher, Stella Howard. Within four years a high school was built. The school closed in 1922 after railroad expansion brought new towns and free schools into the area. (Located on OK-11, two miles east of the junction with US-64, north of Cherokee)
  • Tullahassee Mission, Wagoner County
    Tullahassee was established as a Creek mission by Presbyterian Reverend R. M. Loughridge in 1848. Alice Robertson, later Oklahoma's first congresswoman, was born here. (Located on US-69, 1/4 mile north of Arkansas River)
  • Tuskegee Baptist Church
    McIntosh County
    Annie Walker Armstrong was corresponding secretary of the Woman’s Missionary Union of the Southern Baptist Convention which sent missionaries to the area. The church was founded here in 1867. Nearby is another marker that notes the rock that Armstrong used to mount her horse during a visit to the church in 1900. (Located at the intersection of OK-9 and NS-411 (OBHC))
  • Wheelock Academy, McCurtain County
    This boarding school for Choctaw orphan girls was completed in 1884 northeast of the Wheelock Church. Five of the buildings survived and are being restored by the Choctaw Nation. (Located on US-70, one and a half miles east of Millerton)
  • Wynona, Osage County
    A post office was established in 1903 in Wynona. The name is a Sioux word meaning "first-born daughter." (Located on OK-99, eight miles south of Pawhuska)

Links