Home |  PublicationsEncyclopedia |  Faxon

The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture


Faxon is located in the far southwestern corner of Comanche County, five miles east of Chattanooga and eleven miles southwest of Interstate 44. The town is on State Highway 36. Faxon's post office was established in January 1902 with the community being named for U.S. Sen. Chester Long's private secretary, Ralph Faxon.

The Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway extended a line through Faxon in 1903, connecting the town to Lawton, even then the major hub in southwestern Oklahoma. A farming community from the outset, Faxon had two cotton gins by 1908. The Faxon Commercial Club advertised a hardware store, a farm implement and tin shop, and a harness shop, and dry goods, clothing, and shoe stores. By the 1930s the town maintained two gins, along with a large depot, a lumberyard, a telephone office, ice yards, and several grocery stores. During the 1970s only one gin remained standing, and it was turned into a pottery distribution center in circa 1976.

Reportedly, Faxon had a population of 500 in 1908. The official 1910 census, however, recorded less than half that, with a total of 215. The 1910 population also represents the highest number of recorded residents in the town. By 1920 the population had dropped to 163 before rebounding to 212 in 1930. Ten years later there were 178 residents, but the number continued to drop so that by 1950 the town had just 135 citizens. After gaining just two over the next decade, the population again declined to a record low of 121 in 1970. The 1970s resulted in a slight population surge so that by 1980 Faxon numbered 140. In 1990 the population again fell to 127 but climbed in the following decade. By the end of the twentieth century Faxon claimed 134 inhabitants. In 2010 the census counted 136. In April 2020 the census reported 112 residents.

There has not been a newspaper in Faxon since 1918. The Faxon Weekly Star published between 1904 and 1905, and the Faxon Star ran briefly in 1906. In 1907 the Faxon Leader took over the Elgin Chief and continued to publish through 1911. From 1914 until 1918 the Faxon Signal provided the community with the latest information.

Cynthia Savage

Browse By Topic

Urban Development



Learn More

Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City), 20 December 1908, 4 September 1920, and 22 October 1970.

The History of Comanche County, Oklahoma (N.p.: Southwest Oklahoma Genealogical Society, 1985).


The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Cynthia Savage, “Faxon,” The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, https://www.okhistory.org/publications/enc/entry?entry=FA024.

Published January 15, 2010
Last updated March 1, 2024

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society (OHS). This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and part or in whole.