GRAND LAKE TOWNE.
A small, incorporated residential area on the shore of Grand Lake O' the Cherokees (locally known as Grand Lake), Grand Lake Towne is in extreme northeastern Mayes County, approximately two miles north of Langley. It is also one and one-half miles south of State Highway 85. Grand Lake Towne is situated in a rural area on the lakeshore and is accessed by a county road leading south from Ketchum. The community's name is drawn from the popular name given to the lake. In 1940 the Grand River Dam Authority finished the construction of the Pensacola Dam, creating the lake. The location's recreation opportunities and privacy attracted a few people to build homes there. In October 1961 voters, by a vote of six to zero, elected to incorporate the town, which the Mayes Board of County Commissioners declared legal the next month. By 1962 Grand Lake Towne's developers were advertising throughout Oklahoma, offering lots in the lakeside addition. In 1965 Clem McSpadden introduced an Oklahoma Senate Resolution that confirmed the town's incorporation. The 1970 census registered 23 residents, a number that climbed to 58 in 1990. In 2000 the population stood at 65, and by 2010 it had risen to 74.
See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS
Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City), 24 June 1962 and 21 May 1965.
Oklahoma Atlas and Gazetteer (Yarmouth, Maine: DeLorme, 1998).
Oklahoma's Water Atlas (Norman: Oklahoma Water Resources Board, 1984).
The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Larry O'Dell, “Grand Lake Towne,” The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, https://www.okhistory.org/publications/enc/entry.php?entry=GR005.
© Oklahoma Historical Society.