Located on Tulsa's outskirts on Sixty-first Street, New Tulsa lies in Wagoner County five miles east of the Tulsa-Wagoner county line. In 1966 the town incorporated as Oak Grove but changed its name to New Tulsa one year later. Cal Tinney spearheaded the incorporation movement in order to protect the area from annexation by its neighbors. The 1970 population stood at seventeen. The Oak Grove community can trace its roots to the beginning of the twentieth century. A church, a school, and a general store served the dispersed rural community. The store continued to operate until 1975 and was housed in the same building from 1946.
After the town's initial municipal elections, it annexed approximately forty acres and then fell dormant. Nevertheless, it accumulated its monthly gas-tax collection payments from the Oklahoma Tax Commission. In 1984 a state senator threatened to dissolve the town, prompting residents to hold another election in 1986. Spending the accumulated $26,000 was the main issue. By 1980 New Tulsa had grown to 252 residents and climbed to 272 in 1990. In 1998 it unsuccessfully attempted to annex nine subdivisions, which would have greatly increased its population. In 2000 there were 568 residents. In 2001 the citizens voted to cancel New Tulsa's incorporation. No 2010 census statistics were recorded.
See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS
Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City), 26 August 1966 and 4 July 1978.
Tulsa (Oklahoma) Tribune, 2 December 1972, 13 February 1984, and 13 November 1986.
Tulsa (Oklahoma) World, 12 and 13 November 1986 and 25 July 1998.
Wagoner County History (Wagoner, Okla.: Wagoner County Extension Homemakers Council, 1980).
The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Larry O'Dell, “New Tulsa,” The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, https://www.okhistory.org/publications/enc/entry.php?entry=NE009.
© Oklahoma Historical Society.