A small, incorporated town adjacent to Oklahoma City and Del City in Oklahoma County, Smith Village was created as a rural residential area circa 1949 by Rose Henrietta Smith of Oklahoma City. Inheriting a twenty-acre farm, she subdivided it into lots and created a housing development, Rose Smith Addition. It encompasses three-tenths of a square mile. The town is bounded on the west by Oklahoma City (Bryant Avenue) and on the north, east, and west by Del City (Southeast Fourteenth Street, Brookdale, and Southeast Fifteenth Street).
When Del City attempted to annex the addition in1952, in November of that year its residents voted to incorporate. Smith Village's 1960 population stood at 93. As there has been no commercial development, the 2000 population of 40 inhabitants occupy themselves in services, sales, construction, and factory work in the surrounding metropolitan area. A town government is elected on an irregular basis. Del City provides water and sewer services. The 2010 population was 66.
See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS
Profiles of America, Vol. 2 (2d ed.; Millerton, N.Y.: Grey House Publishing, 2003).
"Smith Villagers Mighty Glad to Live in Tax-Free Town," Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City), 17 April 1966.
"Smith Village," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.
The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Dianna Everett, “Smith Village,” The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, https://www.okhistory.org/publications/enc/entry.php?entry=SM003.
© Oklahoma Historical Society.