SHPO Presents 2017 Awards
The Oklahoma Historical Society's State Historic Preservation Office presented its 2017 Citations of Merit during an awards banquet in Oklahoma City on June 8, 2017, a highlight of Preservation Future Tense: Oklahoma's 29th Annual Statewide Preservation Conference. The recipients have contributed to the preservation of Oklahoma's significant archeological and historic properties through research, public programming, restoration/rehabilitation, and other activities. The recipients included:
1. Museum of the Western Prairie; Preservation Oklahoma, Inc.; Southern Prairie Library System; and Western Trail Historical Society
With a grant from the Kirkpatrick Foundation, these organizations retained Tombstone conservator Jonathan Appell to provide a series of presentations. He explained what tombstones reveal about the cultural values and religious traditions of early-day settlers in the Altus area. He discussed best practices and maintenance needs with Altus Cemetery workers; conducted a workshop at the National Register-listed Frazer Cemetery; presented "Tombstone Restoration" at the Museum of the Western Prairie; and presented "Tombstone Symbolism" at the Altus Public Library.
2. McCoy Building, LLC and Keleher Architects
Dayna McCoy, with the services of Keleher Architects, rehabilitated Bartlesville's 1907 McCoy Building for a mixed-use development that includes a jewelry store and apartments. Located in the National Register-listed Bartlesville Downtown Historic District, the 110-year-old masonry building originally housed retail and a telegraph office. Major rehabilitation work included masonry cleaning and repair, restoration of storefront transoms, and repair of interior plaster and hardwood floors. The project is an example of how the federal and state tax credits for certified rehabilitation are stimulating community revitalization statewide.
3. Bartlesville 125, LLC; Lilly Architects; and Rosin Preservation, LLC
Also a contributing resource to the Bartlesville Downtown Historic District, the 1907 Sharp's Pawn Shop stood vacant. Then, led by Warren Ross, Bartlesville 125, LLC, with the services of Lilly Architects and Rosin Preservation, LLC, repurposed the 110-year-old, two-story building for retail and housing. The certified rehabilitation project included storefront and window repair and replacement, new glazing, masonry repair and cleaning, and carefully placed interior partition walls.
4. DH Housing Limited Partnership; Strategic Realty; The Hill Firm; Big Five Community Services, Inc.; and Mike Kertok, Architect
The 1929 Romanesque Revival Bryan Hotel was designed by noted architects Layton, Hicks, and Forsyth and became the social center of southeast Oklahoma. The hotel is listed in the National Register within the Durant Downtown Historic District. After several renovations from the 1950s through the 1980s, it was finally adapted for apartments, its current use. Recently, the recipients carried out the certified rehabilitation of the hotel. Project work included cast stone and masonry repair, window repair and replacement, interior plaster repair, restoration of phone booths and chandeliers, and retention of historic corridor walls on the upper floors.
5. Dale Housing Partners, LP and Preservation and Design Studio
Guymon's Hotel Dale was listed in the National Register in 2016. Built in 1950, the hotel exhibits an architectural style consistent with the Modern Movement, and it is significant for its association with local community planning and development, as it was built to accommodate the increased attendance at the city's annual Pioneer Days Festival. Dale Housing Partners, LP, with the services of Preservation and Design Studio, redeveloped the hotel as much-needed housing, the first certified rehabilitation project in the Oklahoma Panhandle. The work included window replacement, masonry repair and repointing, storefront replacement, and repair of interior plaster and terrazzo.
6. Jonita Mullins
Jonita Mullins of Muskogee is the author of The Jefferson Highway in Oklahoma: The Historic Osage Trace, an account of one of the oldest roads in our state. Oklahoma's central location makes it a natural crossroads, and the trails of yesterday became the superhighways of today. One of the best examples is Route 69, once known as the Jefferson Highway. Through the book released by The History Press, Jonita leads readers on a journey along the road that links us to many of the important and interesting places and people of Oklahoma's past.
7. Muskogee Historic Preservation Commission and Okie Heritage
The City of Muskogee participates in the SHPO's Certified Local governments Program and as a result, receives matching funds to develop its local preservation program. Muskogee's Colorful History coloring book was undertaken with a recent CLG grant. The Muskogee Historic Preservation Commission identified the project as a way to enhance the teaching of local history to elementary school students. Muskogee historian Jonita Mullins of Okie Heritage designed and produced the coloring book. It includes 20 drawings that illustrate historically and architecturally significant properties in Muskogee and highlight persons important in the city's development. A photograph and brief narrative accompany each drawing.
8. Uptown Redevelopment Group, LLC and Preservation and Design Studio
Led by Marty Dillon, Uptown Development Group, LLC retained the consultant services of Preservation and Design Studio and completed a certified rehabilitation of 424 NW 24th Street in Oklahoma City. Known as "The 424," the 1928 residence is listed in the National Register as a contributing resource to the Jefferson Park Historic District. Rehabilitation of the rental residential property included repair and replacement of windows, reconstruction of the rear porch and stair, and repointing of mortar. The project is an excellent example of how the federal and state rehabilitation tax credits support neighborhood revitalization efforts.
9. Greater Mount Olive Baptist Church; Noble Jackson; Linda Tillman; and the University of Oklahoma's Fall 2015 Historic Buildings of Oklahoma/Historic Preservation Planning Class
Built in 1919, the John Sinopoulo House, known as Sundial, is a Mediterranean-inspired villa located on North Kelley Avenue in Oklahoma City and listed in the National Register. The Greater Mount Olive Baptist Church acquired Sundial which is adjacent to its property. While working with the congregation for ideas about the Sundial's restoration and uses, Ms. Tillman, then at Langston University's Center for Community Engagement, met Mr. Jackson of the congregation. They began the search for other collaborators, and they eventually consulted Ron Frantz and his historic preservation class in the OU College of Architecture for guidance in Sundial's preservation. In the fall of 2015, the students were documenting the house when it was sold. They modified their project, creating a "thank-you" video for the congregation and a "welcome" video for the new owner that was posted to YouTube. In June 2016, the new owner discovered the video, and she continues restoration work today. Congratulations to everyone involved in documenting and sharing the history of the house.
10. Larson Development; Rosin Preservation, LLC; and Walter Parks Architect
The Bill White Chevrolet Complex consists of six buildings that are contributing resources to downtown Tulsa's Blue Dome Historic District which is listed in the National Register. Located on the corner of East 4th Street and South Elgin Avenue, the complex was constructed between 1920 and 1949 with alterations in the 1950s and 1960s. Larson Development, with the services of Rosin Preservation, LLC, and Walter Parks Architect, adapted the historic buildings for retail and housing. The certified rehabilitation included window repair and replacement, careful placement of new rooftop signage, and interior partitioning to accommodate the new uses.
11. Historic Shawnee Alliance, Inc.
Through leadership and public programming, the Historic Shawnee alliance is contributing to the preservation of Shawnee's historic built environment. Organized in July 2015, HSA designed a web site showcasing historic downtown Shawnee, developed guidelines for rehabilitation of historic buildings, helped develop a downtown property maintenance ordinance, conducted two public seminars highlighting historic preservation, and assumed the administrative role for the city's downtown Facade Grant program. Also, they sponsored two Keep Oklahoma Beautiful Paint Day projects that involved the repair and painting of two downtown buildings. The HSA worked with the building owners to replace broken windows and loose mortar, repair wood trim, strip old paint and apply new paint.
12. Cherokee Terrace, LP and Rosin Preservation, LLC
Enid's Cherokee Terrace Apartments consists of 80 apartment units in 8 one- and two-story, low-rise buildings. The Public Works Administration constructed the complex in the mid-1930s to provide affordable housing for people struggling as a result of the Great Depression. It is listed in the National Register for its exemplification of functional modernism, the style preferred by the PWA due to its economy and efficiency. Cherokee Terrace, LP, with Rosin Preservation, LLC, completed a certified rehabilitation of the complex, and it continues in its original use. Window replacement, other exterior rehabilitation, and interior work met the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation.
13. Susan Allen Kline
Susan receives the Citation of Merit for her research and publications contributing to the preservation of historic properties in Oklahoma. Many of her projects concern preparation of National Register nominations, and two recent examples of her work include documentation of the Oklahoma City National Memorial and the Oklahoma Iron Works/Bethlehem Supply Company Building in Tulsa. Her publications include several preservation-related articles in The Chronicles of Oklahoma, such as her co-authored contributions about noted architect William Caudill and about cultural diversity in Oklahoma's historic preservation movement. As evident in her work, Susan is a strong preservation advocate for properties that represent the state's underserved communities.
14. TDL NOW II, LLC; PreserveLandmarks, LLC; and Phillips Slaughter Rose
Vandever's Department Store is located on East 5th Street, between South Boston and South Main in downtown Tulsa. Built in 1924, this six story, Italian Renaissance building housed the department store until 1980, when all Tulsa locations for the store were closed. In the 1980s, the building was converted to office space. It was listed in the National Register as a contributing resource to the Oil Capital Historic District. As a result of the certified rehabilitation carried out by TDL NOW II, LLC, PreserveLandmarks, LLC, and Phillips Slaughter Rose, the historic retail space now functions as market-rate housing. Major rehabilitation work included installation of a new storefront door, transom, and sidelights; repair of deteriorated mortar, cast stone, and terracotta; and retention of historic corridors on upper floors.
15. Fort Sill
In 2015–2016, Fort Sill rehabilitated its historic Artillery Bowl, a distinctive, circular, native limestone stadium. Constructed as part of the National Guard camp erected for the 45th Division by the Works Progress Administration in 1940, the Artillery Bowl is an open-air entertainment/recreation venue. In addition to an appearance by Bob Hope in 1942, the stadium held a variety of sporting events, concerts and dances for soldiers of the World War II-era. The rehabilitation project included repair of spalling concrete, removal of invasive vegetation, replacement of the deteriorated wood benches, painting the railings, and restoration of electric service. The Artillery Bowl is the venue for formal addresses, graduations, athletic events, concerts, and other activities for another generation of soldiers.
16. Midtown-1100 Broadway, LLC; Fitzsimmons Architects; and Preservation and Design Studio
Midtown-1100 Broadway, LLC, with consultant services of Fitzsimmons Architects and Preservation and Design Studio, accomplished the certified rehabilitation of the Chieftain Pontiac Building, located in Oklahoma City's Automobile Alley Historic District. It housed three different automobile dealerships between 1927 and 1933. Then Chieftain Pontiac moved in in 1934 and remained at the address until the mid-1950s. The building exhibits the massing, brickwork, cast stone, windows, and interiors characteristic of the other auto dealership buildings in the district. Respecting the building's historic character, the rehabilitation work included new windows, preserved terrazzo flooring, a rooftop addition, and partition walls that incorporate glass walls and window systems to appear invisible when seen from the public right of way. The former automobile dealership now houses retail, offices, and apartments.
17. David and Patsy Anderson, Margo Hoover, and Erin Turner
Listed in the National Register, Ed Galloway's Totem Pole Park is the oldest and largest folk art environment in Oklahoma, and it was constructed from 1937 to 1961. Totem Pole Park contains the original, highly decorated creations of Galloway, one of Oklahoma's premier folk artists and significant in the "visionary art" movement. David and Patsy Anderson oversee the property for the Rogers County Historical Society and spearheaded the fundraising for the park's restoration. Providing important service to the restoration were two artists who grew up in Tulsa - Margo Hoover, now of Oakland, California, and Erin Turner, now of Brooklyn, New York. They spent the summer of 2015 in Oklahoma restoring the totem pole. The pair completed research to guide their selection of the appropriate paint, cleaning methods and eventual paint application.
18. Teresa Rendon
Teresa completed the certified rehabilitation of the duplex at 720 NE 15th Street in Oklahoma City. The two-story Prairie-style duplex was constructed in 1928 and is listed in the National Register as a contributing resource to the Lincoln Terrace East Historic District. The district exhibits the types and styles of residential architecture popular in Oklahoma City from 1925 to 1942. Neighborhood houses feature cut stone, intricate brick detail, and wrought iron decorative elements. Teresa's rehabilitation work included the stabilization of the rear porch, mortar repair, and the repair of interior wood and tile flooring. Her efforts demonstrate that the federal and state rehabilitation tax credits are useful tools in redevelopment projects of all sizes.
19. Muskogee Arts District Homes, LP and Preservation and Design Studio
Muskogee's Pre-Statehood Commercial District was listed in the National Register in 1983, and the Severs block was included as a contributing resource to the district. Captain Frederick Ballard Severs constructed the building in 1903 to house the First National Bank of Muskogee. The building's National Register status positioned Muskogee Arts District Homes, LP to use the federal and state preservation tax incentives. With the services of Preservation and Design Studio, the partnership redeveloped the property for commercial and residential uses. Rehabilitation work to accommodate the new mixed use included masonry cleaning and repair, roof repair, and retention of historic interior stairwells, lobbies, and corridors.
20. Oklahoma City Metropolitan Association of Realtors and the City of Oklahoma City Planning Department
Since 2014, the Oklahoma City Metropolitan Association of Realtors, with the leadership of Gigi Faulkner and George Massey and in partnership with the City of Oklahoma City's Historic Preservation Program, has offered training in historic preservation that qualifies real estate professionals to earn required continuing education credits. The sessions prepare them to assist their buyers and sellers in navigating the do's and don'ts of Oklahoma City's historic preservation and other special zoning districts. Topics addressed in the training include the goals and purposes of historic preservation and special design districts, the application process for Certificates of Appropriateness or Approval, and tips for evaluating and inspecting historic properties.
21. City of Sand Springs; Sand Springs Cultural and Historical Museum; GH2 Architects, LLC; and VOY Construction
The City of Sand Springs and the Sand Springs Cultural and Historical Museum have completed the exterior rehabilitation of the Page Memorial Library Building, the home of the museum. The art deco building was constructed in 1930 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. GH2 Architects, LLC worked closely with the City of Sand Springs and the Museum leadership team to design the project. The scope of work included window restoration, repair and re-coating of exterior stucco, a new roof system, site grading and drainage improvements, parapet repairs and the replacement of the damaged entry stairway. The project successfully stabilized the building envelope and sets the stage for future interior rehabilitation efforts. VOY Construction served as the General Contractor for the project.
22. IH Landlord, LLC; Rosin Preservation, LLC; and Selser Schaefer Architects
With professional services from Selser Schaefer Architects and Rosin Preservation, LLC, IH Landlord, LLC, led by Warren Ross, completed the certified rehabilitation of the International Harvester Building at 510 East 2nd Street in Tulsa. Built in 1937 in the Art Modern Style, the building housed services related to tractor-trailer sales. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2011 as a contributing resource in the Blue Dome Historic District. The building now houses corporate offices for the Ross Group, a local general contracting company. The project work met the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation and included retaining original plaster work, installing compatible replacement storefronts and windows, and cleaning historic masonry.
23. Park on the Square, LLC; Ron Drake Consulting; and J Square Construction
Led by Gene and Mary Jane Lewellen, Park on the Square, LLC, with Ron Drake Consulting and J Square Construction, completed the certified rehabilitation of the Parkinson Trent and Company Building at 100 South Morton Avenue in Okmulgee for retail space and housing. The two-story brick building, constructed in 1901, is an excellent example of the Richardsonian Romanesque style, and it sits on a prominent corner in the Downtown Okmulgee Historic District, which is listed in the National Register. Project work included historic window repair and selective window replacements, masonry repair and repointing, and retention of the historic ceiling heights and wall trim on the first and second floors.
24. United States Postal Service; GH2 Architects LLC: and Ed A. Wilson, Inc.
The United States Postal Service, in consultation with the SHPO under Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act, replaced the Ponca City Post Office's historic windows, preserving its historic integrity. After analysis of the existing steel windows and decorative surrounds, it was determined that the only financially feasible option was replacement of the units, most of which were badly deteriorated. GH2 Architects, LLC provided architectural services and worked closely with the USPS to develop the design for the new window system. The new windows closely match the frame profiles of the original units while providing enhanced thermal properties. The new windows match the original color of the units, and original decorative castings and surrounds were carefully preserved during the project. Ed A. Wilson, Inc. served as the general contractor for the project.
25. Pershing Project, LLC and Sikes Abernathie Architects
Tulsa's J. J. Pershing School, which contributes to the Owen Park Historic District, recently underwent a certified rehabilitation. Pershing Project, LLC, with the design services of Sikes Abernathie Architects, adapted the school building for rental residential purposes. Built in 1918 and modified 1926–928 and again in 1968, the elementary school was a product of the "unit" system. The school board developed the block of land incrementally to eventually enclose a central playground. It operated as an elementary school until 1979. To convert the building to housing, rehabilitation work included spot cleaning of exterior masonry and stone, window repair, and retention of the primary interior hallways.
26. Cheri Killam-Bomhard and Ken Ruhnke, Chickasaw National Recreation Area; and Spring 2016 Environmental Design Capstone Class, Environmental Design Program, OU College of Architecture
The SHPO's Citation of Merit recognizes the NPS/OU collaboration to design the historic Panther Falls Comfort Station and the Cold Springs Campground upgrade project. Both facilities are located in the Chickasaw National Recreation Area at Sulphur. Accustomed to working in urban, suburban, and small town settings, the OU team knew this project provided an exciting new opportunity for the students. As historic structures built by the Civilian Conservation Corps were involved, the team's focus was to rehabilitate existing or design new facilities that both respect the historic "parkitecture" as well as meet current NPS guidelines. The students presented their ideas in May 2016, just before the 100th Anniversary of the National Park Service on August 25, 2016.
27 & 28. Universal Ford Building, LLC; Lilly Architects; and Cathy Ambler (posthumous)
Under Ken Levit's direction, Universal Ford Building, LLC recently completed three certified rehabilitation projects in Tulsa's Brady Historic district. All three buildings contribute to the National Register-listed district. The E.L. Fox Building and Fox Block, both built in 1906, were redeveloped for a lounge and bakery on the ground floor and apartments and studios on the upper floors. The third project adapted the 1917 Universal Ford Motor Company Building for commercial and residential uses. Lilly Architects and Cathy Ambler provided professional services for all three projects. Her friendship, leadership and professionalism are greatly missed among the Oklahoma preservation community.
Oklahoma has a rich legacy of archeological resources, and the SHPO values its professional colleagues who partner with them to identify and protect these special places. Three of these individuals retired over the last year, and we thank them for their service through the citation of merit.
29. Robert Bartlett
Robert received his BA and MA in Anthropology from the University of Oklahoma and is a lifelong Oklahoman. In 1993, he became the only staff member for the Oklahoma Department of Transportation's highway archeology program based at OU and led establishment of today's ODOT cultural Resources Program through a cooperative agreement with OU and the Oklahoma Archeological Survey. He was responsible for the identification and study of prehistoric and historic archeological sites across the state. Examples of his work include investigations at Mount Williams (north of Norman), the 101 Ranch, and the Sulphur Springs Resort site near Granite. He is the author of several reports in the "Highway Archaeology Series." The SHPO staff appreciates Robert's hard work and professionalism in the Section 106 process and wishes him the best in retirement.
30. Richard Drass
Richard received his B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. in anthropology from The University of Oklahoma and spent his professional career with the Oklahoma Archeological Survey. He joined the OAS staff in 1977 as the State Register Archeologist, consulting with the SHPO and producing National Register nominations for archeological sites. He became a research archeologist in 1981, and continued in that capacity until his retirement in December 2016. Richard's specializations include Plains Villagers, ethno-botany, historic Wichita, and the Southern Plains. His research focused on the identification of early cultigens, such as corn and beans, in prehistoric sites and documentation of the interaction between French explorers and Wichita groups at sites along the Arkansas and Red Rivers. The SHPO appreciates Richard's contributions to the preservation of Oklahoma's heritage and wishes him the best in retirement.
31. Marjorie Duncan
Marjy received her Ph.D. from the University of Oklahoma, and she served as an archeologist with the Oklahoma Archeological Survey. Her specializations include Hunters & Gatherers, cultural resource management, and the Southern Plains. Her research at the Two Sisters site, an Antelope Creek phase site in the Oklahoma panhandle, and at sites of the 5,000-year-old Calf Creek culture in central Oklahoma, are particularly noteworthy. Marjy is currently co-editing a book about the Calf Creek culture. The SHPO congratulates Marjy on her retirement and extends its appreciation to her for her professional services in the Section 106 review process.
As we have seen this week, the City of Oklahoma City takes pride in its landmarks and their preservation. City ordinances are essential in the process, as are the voluntary efforts of property owners. The next three awards provide examples of these facts.
32. Midtown Renaissance
The Marion Hotel is one of a few buildings remaining from the earliest wave of urban, residential development in and around downtown Oklahoma City. Midtown Renaissance, owners of the property, requested the local Historic Landmark Overlay Zoning to formally recognize and protect the hotel. The Oklahoma City Historic Preservation Commission worked with the owners and granted the designation in 2015. The Marion Hotel is located in the Automobile Alley Historic District and recently underwent a certified rehabilitation.
33. Elise Kilpatrick
Elise owns the Milk Bottle Grocery, located near Northwest 23rd and Classen, and she requested and received Historic Landmark Designation for it from the Oklahoma City Historic Preservation Commission in 2016. The building could have been lost decades ago if not for the efforts of Elise's father, John Kilpatrick. He made sure it was well-maintained and pursued its listing in the National Register. After his death, Elise became the steward of the little, triangular building and is working to ensure the preservation of one of the city's best-known historic buildings and route 66 icon.
34. Sieber Holdings LLC
In 2016, the City of Oklahoma City extended historic landmark status to the Sieber Grocery and Apartment Hotel. Representing Sieber Holdings LLC, Marva Ellard applied for the special overlay zoning and worked with the Oklahoma City Historic Preservation Commission to achieve the designation. Located at 1305–1313 North Hudson, the Sieber is an example of the mixed use development common in Oklahoma City's midtown in the early 20th century. Marva completed a certified rehabilitation of the building which is also listed in the National Register.
35. Lindsey Deatsch
Many volunteers help make the statewide preservation conference possible each year, and Lindsey is one of them. As the importance of electronic media in event promotion grew, the preservation conference sponsors decided to launch a blog to supplement mass mailings, press releases, and posts to e-mail lists. In 2009, Lindsey volunteered to assist the SHPO with a conference blog for the event at Quartz Mountain Lodge, and she has provided this service for each conference since then. The SHPO staff appreciates her volunteer service and technical expertise and thanks her with the Citation of Merit.
36. Land Run Commercial Real Estate; 23rd Street Equity LLC; Pump Libations LLC; Chris Lower and Kathryn Mathis; TAP Architecture; David Ledbetter; Sam Gresham; and Jeluxa Construction
Since 2012, these Citation of Merit recipients worked with the Oklahoma City Historic Preservation Commission and Urban Design Commission to address zoning and design issues associated with the transformation of NW 23rd Street between N. Walker and N. Dewey Avenue. Once empty or underutilized buildings now house vibrant businesses. The removal of mansard roofs and faux façades revealed the historic character of this section of Oklahoma City's uptown commercial center and a portion of historic Route 66. The redevelopment extends from 23rd north on Walker Avenue with adaptation of a former night club for Pizzeria Gusto and a former gas station for The Pump Bar.
37. 21C OKC, LLC; Hornbeek-Blatt Architects; and Rosin Preservation, LLC
Industrial architect Albert Kahn designed the 1916 Oklahoma City Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant and its 1924 addition. With consultant services from Hornbeek-Blatt Architects and Rosin Preservation, LLC, 21C OKC, LLC redeveloped the National Register-listed automobile manufacturing facility as a boutique hotel. Project work met the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation and included retention of the historic storefronts and transoms, the design and vertical framing elements of the historic vehicular entrances, the first floor bay configuration, and the careful placement of interior partitions so they did not reduce or project into the window glazing. The hotel franchise strives to make contemporary art a part of more people's daily lives by combining the art museum and hotel experiences.
38. Main Street Enid, Inc.; the City of Enid; Visit Enid; Park Avenue Thrift; and Wymer Brownlee
We extend our appreciation to these organizations and agencies for their partnership in presenting Preservation is Golden: Oklahoma's 28th Annual Statewide Preservation Conference held June 1–3, 2016, in Enid. They made all arrangements for meeting and special event space, printed and mailed publicity pieces, provided catering services, made sure equipment was in place, and extended generous hospitality to all conference participants. The conference celebrated the 50th anniversary of the National Historic Preservation Act, and our Enid partners ensured a real celebration of the occasion through their hard work and many financial contributions. The statewide conference would not be possible without such local support.
39. Tulsa Foundation for Architecture
The Tulsa Foundation for Architecture commissioned "The Oklahoma Historic Tax Credit: Impact on the Oklahoma Economy." Donovan Rypkema, Principal of Place Economics, the firm completing the study, said Oklahoma's preservation incentive is one of the best in the nation, returning $11.70 in economic activity per $1 in tax credits. Many investments in Oklahoma communities would not have happened without them. The historic tax credits create jobs, generate state and local tax revenues, and increase the understanding of Oklahoma's history represented in its built environment. We extend our appreciation to TFA for undertaking the study and for their willingness to serve as the lead local sponsor for Oklahoma's 30th Annual Statewide Preservation Conference which will be held June 6–8, 2018, in Tulsa.