The Oklahoma State Historic Preservation Office is currently open to the public by appointment only. All guests are required to wear a mask. For those guests submitting projects, a mailbox has been placed outside the SHPO office door. Please include a cover letter with your project, and if you require a scanned copy to show receipt by our office, please include an email address.
Rehabilitating Historic Properties for State and Federal Tax Credits Manual
State and federal tax law currently provides attractive incentives for the rehabilitation of historic and older buildings. These special benefits encourage revitalization of historic districts as well as individual buildings. To qualify for the federal tax incentives, requirements of both the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the US Department of the Interior (through the National Park Service) must be met. To qualify for the state tax incentives, requirements stipulated in Oklahoma Statute OS68-2357.41 must be met. The State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) is the initial point of contact for applicants and participates in the review of proposed rehabilitation projects. The Technical Preservation Services branch of the National Park Service (NPS) represents the agency responsible for certifying historic structures and rehabilitation work. For more information, contact Sara Werneke at 405-522-4478 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below you will find the links provided in the Rehabilitating Historic Properties for State and Federal Tax Credits Manual available from the Oklahoma State Historic Preservation Office.General Info
- Tax Credit General Info
- Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credit Brochure (PDF)
- NPS Regulations - 36 CFR 67 (PDF)
- IRS Regulations - 26 CFR 1.48-12, Qualified rehabilitated buildings (PDF)
- Internal Revenue Code Section 47, Rehabilitation Credit (PDF)
Please read the new application instructions and make note of the changes on the Part 2 cover sheet. The section now directs applicants that the data entered for phased projects must be the total for the ENTIRE project. Language for phase information has been updated to "Application includes phase(s) ____ of ____ phases." In addition, a check box has been added for "intend to elect IRS 60-month phased rehabilitation."
Instructions from NPS:
1. DO NOT open the forms in a browser tab or window
2. DOWNLOAD the forms and SAVE them to your computer. To download and save, right click and choose "Save Link as..."
3. Open Acrobat READER (or Acrobat DC)
4. Open the forms in READER
- Historic Preservation Certification Application
- Application Process
- Application Instructions (PDF)
- Application - part 1 (PDF)
- Application - part 2 (PDF)
- Application - part 3 (PDF)
- Application - Amendment/Advisory Determination (PDF)
- National Register of Historic Places Nomination Requirements (for part 1)