Home |   Museums and Sites |   Historic Homes |  Hunter's Home
Donate Now

Hunter’s Home

19479 East Murrell Home Road
Park Hill, OK 74451-2001
Director: David Fowler
Historical Interpreter: Jennifer Frazee

Site Hours
10 am to 5 pm

Seniors (age 62+)$5
(5 and under)
(up to 6 people)
Veterans and Active Military (with ID)Free
Group Rate (10+)$5/person
OHS Members  Free

Use of drones over Oklahoma Historical Society property is not permitted without written approval of the facility director.

National Historic Landmark
National Register of Historic Places
Hunter's Home will be closed December 22–25.

Hunter’s Home

You might be surprised to see Hunter’s Home here instead of the George M. Murrell Home. Since the state of Oklahoma acquired this historic resource in 1945, the property has been known as the George M. Murrell Home. New and exciting things are happening at the site as it is transitioning into a 1850s Cherokee farm. Keep checking back as we develop a regular schedule for living history programs and add livestock types and breeds raised by George and his family.

This name change is restoring a piece of the home’s history. Historical records confirm that family, friends, and area residents referred to the property as Hunter’s Home—the name given to the property by George Murrell and his first wife Minerva Ross.

Be patient with us as we work to change all the road signs, interpretative signs, and web listings to the new name.

About the Home

George Michael Murrell was born to a prominent family in Lynchburg, Virginia, in 1808. He moved to the Athens, Tennessee, area as a young man to pursue mercantile interests with his brother, Onslow Glenmore Murrell, and future father-in-law, Lewis Ross. There, in 1834, George Murrell met and married Minerva Ross. Minerva was the oldest daughter of Lewis and Fannie (Holt) Ross, members of a wealthy and influential Cherokee family. Lewis was a merchant, planter, and national treasurer of the Cherokee Nation. His brother, John, was principal chief of the Cherokee Nation from 1828 until his death in 1866.

When the Cherokees were forced to leave their homes during the Trail of Tears 1838–39, Murrell chose to move with his wife’s family to the new Nation in the West. In Park Hill, Indian Territory, he established a plantation and built a large frame home similar to those he remembered in Virginia. He called the Greek Revival-style house Hunter’s Home because of his fondness for the fox hunt. A rock building was added beside the creek branch over a cold spring to preserve food. Outbuildings included a barn with stables for his horses. Other buildings probably added were a smokehouse, grist mill, blacksmith shop, corn cribs, and small cabins for slaves and employees. Murrell and his father-in-law also established a mercantile business in Park Hill, later moving it into Tahlequah, the capital of the Cherokee Nation.

The home is a National Historic Landmark, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and part of the Trail of Tears National Historic Trail.

Teacher’s Guide

A teacher’s curriculum and activity guide is available. The guide is designed to accompany the living history programs at Hunter’s Home. Click to download the guide (PDF).

Operating support is generously provided by the Cherokee Nation.

Email Signup

Keep up to date with events and activities at Hunter’s Home! Join our email list.

Home Featured in Crossroads

The first issue of Crossroads celebrates the agricultural heritage of Oklahoma and the Cherokee Nation with a visit to the Murrell Home. Find out more.

seeds of history

A History of the Home

A publication exploring this historic site is available. The thirty-page book features a history of the Cherokee plantation and dozens of full-color photos. Written by Amanda Pritchett, the book is the first comprehensive history published about the historic site.

The book chronicles the construction of their home in Park Hill following Cherokee removal through the suffering of the Civil War, and beyond.

The book is available in the online store and in the museum's gift shop.