Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Agra

AGRA.

Located in Lincoln County, Agra is situated on State Highway 18, fourteen miles north of Chandler, the county seat. A post office opened on December 20, 1902, and Isaac C. Pierce served as postmaster. Between 1902 and 1904 the Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma Railroad (later the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway) completed a line from Oklahoma City to Parsons, Kansas. Frank Wheeler and Sam Holder sold their farms to form the townsite along the railroad. Soon the American Land Loan and Trust Company sold lots. The townsite developer coined the town's name from the word agriculture. John Olmstead opened the first drug store, and Mark Crane owned the first general store. School classes were held in churches until the first schoolhouse was built in 1905. By 1918 the town supported the Commercial Hotel, the Bank of Agra, and a cotton gin. Early-day newspapers included the Agra News and the Queen City Times. During the 1920s drilling for oil and gas was accomplished nearby. By 1932 Agra boasted two cotton gins.

The population peaked in 1907 at 382 and reached a low of 258 in 1930 during the Great Depression. Population remained steady through the twentieth century. The federal census reported 281 inhabitants in 1940, 302 in 1950, 265 in 1960, 335 in 1970, 354 in 1980, and 334 in 1990. The Bank of Agra was listed in the National Register of Historic Places (NR 90000122). Attempts to save the bank building, constructed in 1904, failed due to its deterioration, and it was razed in August 1999. In November 2001 a new school gymnasium replaced a 350-seat facility built in 1949. In 2000 the census counted 356 residents and in 2010, 339. Agra remained a "bedroom" community from which most residents commuted to work.

Linda D. Wilson

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

"Agra," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Lincoln County, Oklahoma History (Claremore, Okla.: Lincoln County Historical Society, 1988).

Profiles of America, Vol. 2 (2d ed.; Millerton, N.Y.: Grey House Publishing, 2003).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Linda D. Wilson, "Agra," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 20, 2017).

Links of Interest


About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia