Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Alex

ALEX.

Located in Grady County, Oklahoma, Alex is situated south of the Washita River between Soldier and Roaring creeks, ten miles southeast of Chickasha on Highway 19. William Vinson Alexander, an intermarried Chickasaw, gave Alex its name. In 1881 he and his second wife, Martha Davies, established a store near the present townsite. A post office was added in December 1885 with Martha Davies as postmistress. In 1903 a community house was built for religious services, political meetings, socials, and a subscription school.

On July 7, 1906, the one hundred citizens of Alex watched as a tornado leveled their town. In 1907 Hamilton's Palace Drug, Hunter's Variety Store, and three general stores comprised the business district. William V. Alexander established the First State Bank on October 3, 1907. In 1912 the First State Bank and the First National Bank of Alex combined. Alex was incorporated in 1910. The Alex Tribune was published from 1907 until the 1940s.

In 2002 Alex was known for its wheat and alfalfa farming, cattle raising, fine schools, and Fall Craft Festival. The town's population rose from 478 in 1920 to a high of 769 in 1980. It was a community of 635 residents in 2000 but dropped to 550 in 2010.

Gwen Jackson

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

Alex (Oklahoma) Tribune, 17 May 1935.

Mary Hewett Bailey, "A History of Grady County, Oklahoma" (M.A. thesis, University of Oklahoma, 1937).

Chickasha (Oklahoma) Daily Express, 2 June 1993

D. C. Gideon, Indian Territory, Descriptive, Biographical and Genealogical, Including the Landed Estates, County Seats, etc., with a General History of the Territory (New York: Lewis Publishing, 1901).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Gwen Jackson, "Alex," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 19, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia