Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Arkoma

ARKOMA.

Located in northeastern Le Flore County, Arkoma lies just across the state line from Fort Smith, Arkansas, at the intersection of Oklahoma State Highways 9A and 112. In 1908 the Ft. Smith, Arkoma and Southwestern Railroad Company applied for incorporation to build a railroad through the area but failed to lay the tracks. By 1911 a town had been organized on the property of Capt. James Reynolds, a Civil War veteran who intermarried into the Choctaw Nation. He amassed a small fortune in Indian Territory and in 1890 built a castle in the nearby town of Cameron. Reynolds developed Arkoma as a suburb of Fort Smith, platted the town, constructed rent houses, and induced the Fort Smith Light and Traction Company to build tracks and run a regular interurban route to the new community. Reynolds named the town because of its relation to the Arkansas-Oklahoma border. A proposed Ft. Smith, Arkoma and Wilburton Railway Company (chartered in 1912), which would build a sixty-mile line from Wilburton to Arkoma, never materialized. Its promoters had hoped to establish a manufacturing industry at the townsite.

In 1917 the streetcar service discontinued. By 1918 the town had a general store and by the 1930s a brick plant, but Arkoma has always served as a residential community for workers commuting to Fort Smith. In 1936 the Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed a school building, which was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1988 (NR 88001398). In 1946 Arkoma incorporated, and by 1950 the population stood at 1,691. The number of inhabitants increased to 1,862 in 1960 and to 2,098 in 1970. The town's first high school opened in the 1970s, with its first graduation occurring in 1975. In 2000 the population was 2,180, and 422 students enrolled in the prekindergarten-through-twelfth-grade Arkoma school system. The U.S. Census recorded 1,989 inhabitants in 2010.

Larry O'Dell

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

Rosa Ayleene Nance, "Captain James E. Reynolds," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 32 (Spring 1954).

Henry L. Peck, The Proud Heritage of LeFlore County: A History of an Oklahoma County (Van Buren, Ark.: Press Argus, 1963).

R. L. Sosebee, Arkoma, Oklahoma: Back Then and Now (Arkoma, Okla.: R. L. Sosebee, 1999).

Sarah Singleton Spears, Yesterday Revisited: An Illustrated History of LeFlore County (Poteau, Okla.: Poteau Daily News and Sun, 1991).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Larry O'Dell, "Arkoma," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 21, 2017).

Links of Interest


About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia