Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Atoka

ATOKA.

The seat of Atoka County, Atoka is situated at the crossroads of U.S. Highways 69 and 75, running north and south, and State Highways 3 and 7, skirting the southern section of town from east to west. Located forty-five miles southwest of McAlester, Atoka is approximately a two-hour drive from Oklahoma City and Dallas, Texas. Founded by Choctaw Indians in the 1850s and named for a Choctaw subchief who lived nearby, Atoka has a diverse and historic background. Its early growth and development were due largely to Baptist missionary Joseph S. Murrow, who established a mission to the Choctaws there in 1867 and a church in 1869.

Travelers and trade goods came through the area on the Texas Road and military roads. On September 20, 1858, John Butterfield's coach rumbled into Geary's Station, on Muddy Boggy River (creek) near present Atoka. The stage line carried both mail and passengers from St. Louis, Missouri, to San Francisco, California, until 1860. Even though a post office was established in 1868, Atoka remained little more than a dispersed rural community, with the main hub of commerce located at Boggy Depot, established in 1837 by Chickasaws fourteen miles southwest, on the Texas Road.

The Choctaw and Chickasaw tribal court grounds and courthouse were situated just north of present Atoka along the Muddy Boggy River on land owned by A. J. Harkins. The meetings were held in the open around campfires until 1867 when the nation made an agreement with a pioneer settler of Atoka, J. D. Davis, to build a courthouse. Atoka did not show its potential until 1872, when the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway (MK&T) laid ties and rails through the Choctaw Nation and bypassed Boggy Depot. Almost immediately businesses relocated closer to the railroad tracks. In 1872 Father Michael Smyth established St. Patrick's Catholic Church, the first Catholic congregation in present Oklahoma. Then in June 1898 the Curtis Act passed, providing that Indian tribal courts would be abolished and all cases, white or American Indian, would be tried in U.S. federal courts. The Dawes Commission was ordered to proceed with the allotment of lands, and townships were reserved and provisions made to sell town lots. Thus ended the first stage of Atoka's history.

In the late nineteenth century the town's primary economic resource lay in nearby rich stands of timber. Sawmills gave birth to lumber companies. Both took advantage of the abundant hardwood forest, ample water from Boggy River, and the MK&T railroad. Many newspapers have served the area, including the Atoka County Gazette, Jeffersonian, Atoka County Times, Atoka Independent, Branding Iron, Indian Champion, Indian Citizen, Indian Missionary, and Atoka Democrat. The population stood at eight hundred in 1890, and climbed to 1,968 in 1910 and 2,038 in 1920. Moonshining supplemented many hardworking families' incomes during the Great Depression of the 1930s. By 1930 the number of residents had dropped to 1,856.

Priscilla A. Maine

See also: CIVIL WAR ERA, SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

John Michalicka, "First Catholic Church in Indian Territory, 1872β€”St. Patrick's Church at Atoka," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 50 (Winter 1972–73).

Tales of Atoka County Heritage ([Atoka, Okla.]: Atoka County Historical Society, 1982–83).

Muriel H. Wright, "Historic Places on the Old Stage Line from Fort Smith to Red River," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 11 (June 1933).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Priscilla A. Maine, "Atoka," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 17, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia