Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Braggs

BRAGGS.

Braggs is located in Muskogee County, ten miles south of Fort Gibson on Highway 10. The town was originally named Patrick, Indian Territory, on May 2, 1886, after its first postmaster, John J. Patrick. The town's name was changed to Braggs to honor a prominent landowner, Solomon Bragg, on September 10, 1888.

Braggs was a farming community and at various times from 1910 to 1913 had three cotton gins, three banks, and three newspapers. The South Bethel cemetery, where Solomon Bragg and J. J. Patrick were buried, is located southwest of Braggs. Some infamous outlaws such as the Cook Gang, Cherokee Bill, and Henry Starr made regular trips through the town. By 1907 the population stood at 330, and by 1940 at 392.

America's entry into World War II brought many changes to Braggs. A military cantonment complex was built in 1942 by Manhattan-Long Construction Company at a cost of $30 million. Named Camp Gruber for Brig. Gen. Edmund Gruber, author of the song "The Caissons Go Rolling Along," the camp covered more than sixty thousand acres and trained tens of thousands of men. The Forty-second Infantry "Rainbow" Division as well as the Eighty-eighth Infantry "Blue Devil" Division were housed there.

This post created the largest financial boom that Braggs had ever experienced. New businesses were started, a hotel was built, and homeowners cleaned up spare rooms and rented them to the soldiers' wives. The camp was a city within itself. The Missouri Pacific Railroad, vital for the loading and unloading of men and equipment at Gruber, later became the Union Pacific Railway and continued service to the town at the beginning of the twenty-first century. In spring 1942 Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt made a secret trip by train to inspect the army's training post. In 1943 the army used part of the camp to house German prisoners of war. When the facility was deactivated in 1947, Braggs's economic and population growth ended.

An economic boost came in 1977 when Camp Gruber reopened for reserve and active unit training. In 1998 the National Guard Air Assault School was opened. The town had 374 residents in 1950, 301 in 2000, and 259 in 2010.

B. J. Brooks

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

John Downing Benedict, Muskogee and Northeastern Oklahoma, Including the Counties of Muskogee, McIntosh, Wagoner, Cherokee, Sequoyah, Adair, Delaware, Mayes, Rogers, Washington, Nowata, Craig and Ottawa (Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1922).

B. J. Brooks, South Bethel Cemetery, Braggs, Oklahom a (Muskogee, Okla.: Bertie Brown Books, 2000).

Odie B. Faulk, Muskogee City and County (Muskogee, Okla.: Five Civilized Tribes Museum, 1982).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
B. J. Brooks, "Braggs," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 23, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia